iPad Pro If Apple brings USBC, what chargers are recommended

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Alaxlmartin, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Alaxlmartin macrumors regular

Alaxlmartin

I have the apple 29 W charger now.

I could also buy chargers like Anker or Zero Lemon.

I wonder what would give it the “fast charge” like the 29W Charger does.

2. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

If you already have the 29W USB-C Mains Plug now, all you would need is a USB-C to USB-C cable.

3. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

I also wonder if they’ll make them so you have to use the Apple cable like it is now for c to lightning cable

4. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Why would they? MacBooks will charge with any USB-C cable/charger combo.

5. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Well right now to use usb c to lightning, you have to use the Apple cable. Non OEM cables don’t work. So it would be an extension of that logic

6. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

My older mbp is still usb A. So if I bought this iPad day on day one I can’t even hook it up to my Mac without an adaptor of some kind.

7. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

A
    Agreed - I wasted a few bucks on C/Lightning cables when I was experimenting with fast charging my iPad Pros - I tried a couple of different cables as I can often find better quality cables than the standard white rubber one that come with the devices. Let's hope Apple loosens their grip on this particular revenue source.

8. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Well they better do that or items such as this one which weirdly is already advertising itself for the new iPad Pro will be a none starter.
    ESR Type C Cable, USB-C to USB-C 2.0 Cable (6.6ft) for Apple the new iPad, iPad 2018, New MacBook, Samgsung Note 8, Nintendo Switch, Google ChromeBook Pixel 2 2XL, Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2 & More, Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VXVMZ9H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xYpZBbR6W6R9G

9. Jimpilot, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Yeah over the years I’ve bought cases pre iPad delivery and they ended up having to send a replacement. Magnets for sleep and cover/keyboard attachment line up are two that come to mind
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2018 ---
    That does look like a good cable though, thinking of ordering. If they do work they will most likely double in price

10. Alaxlmartin thread starter macrumors regular

Alaxlmartin

Apple doesn’t loosen their grip on any revenue source, lets get real

11. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

I agree i have a box full of Apples special adapter,s bought for cameras monitors chargers memory card readers, most are useless today.
    just money in Apples pocket.

12. loybond macrumors 6502

I've been using these at home and for travel. They're high quality, but also can provide 12 watts to 5 ports simultaneously.
    [​IMG]
    I even have a couple with USB-C @ 30 watts, but only one port.
    [​IMG]
    On the bedsides, I have these:

[​IMG]
    Now, I'd love to have something along the same lines, but with USB-C ports exclusively, and nothing like that is on the market yet. Perhaps it might be because of the power demands, even 4 ports @ 30 watts would be 120 watts total. If you add one more @ 60 watts for a Macbook, you're at 180 watts. I suppose it would have to be a lot beefier, and perhaps more expensive. But everything is, or is going USB-C... Macbooks, iPads, iPhones (for fast charging), Apple Watch (USB-C adapter just came out), Sony 3rd gen A7 cameras, Nintendo Switch etc.

13. Two Stacks macrumors regular

Hopefully the supposed 18w Charger does well. I’ll definitely be testing it out.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I will be sticking with the Apple USB-C chargers.

15. mctrials23 macrumors 6502

I have a new MBP so if they don't move to usb-c I can't even hook it up to my mac without an adaptor of some kind....

16. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

yeah but you already need an adaptor to hook up that new iPhone so you guys should be use to it lol

17. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Better pick up Apple 30W USB-C charger as it is USB-PD standards compliant while 29W was not.

18. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

So I looked up PD compliment (because I have a 29W) and now I’m more confused Anyone think they can share a simple explanation of what it is and why not being compliant is an issue.

19. loybond macrumors 6502

PD just means power delivery. It's a spec/standard for devices that charge using USB-C.

Various laptops, Nintendo Switch etc need the PD spec otherwise they might not charge at full speed. An out of spec 60 watt charger might only charge something at 15 watts if the device doesn't see it as being Pad compliant.

So the old 29 watt charger wouldn't charge a Switch at 29 watts for example, it might drop down to the default 15 watts or whatever, whereas the new 30 watt charger could probably give it the full juice. And since USB-C and PD are universal standards, this would affect all non-Apple devices, and possibly future Apple devices that use the PD standard.

20. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Thank you that helps. So what is the 2.0 versions advantage. And does the Ipone Xs max see or need this. And do we think the new iPads will use this .

21. loybond macrumors 6502

According to a page on Apple, the XS and Max will fast charge using USB-C and one of their MacBook chargers or a USB-C charger that supports PD. So to answer your question, the Max does see PD and uses it. They don't mention the wattage though.

Even if they don't have a USB-C port, the next iPads would probably use PD as well, like the current iPhones. USB-C chargers are going to be increasingly useful, as even the watch now has a USB-C cable available.

22. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

thanks for that info. So can I use a laptop usb-c charger to charge the new iPad if it’s c as expected. Used to be you worried about too much power, but sounds like now it’s regulated to the point it supplies just what’s needed.

Lots of c chargers appearing now. I have a few and I guess it’s time to watch for name brand charger sales.

23. loybond macrumors 6502

Yeah, as long as it's a PD capable charger, you can use it for anything, which is kinda the idea. That's partly why people get excited about usb-c. Even my new Sony x1000m3 headphones charge with usb-c. Your laptop charger should be able to charge this iPad, the next iPad, and even the iPhone and watch. There's even car chargers now with PD.

Just beware of units without PD. I have an Anker charger without PD, and one with. The former didn't work with the Nintendo switch.

24. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Many thanks great info. Now I have to figure out if each of those charges have or don’t have pd.

25. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Last question. If a charger shows multiple out puts with various volts and amps, is it most likely working with pd?