If Apple can add a new itunes match toggle w/o a user update...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mr. Chewbacca, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1258280

If they can just add things like a new iTunes match toggle with out the user doing any kind of update then whats to say they cant just close exploits with out the user doing anything?

For non-jb users the idea of quickly fixing exploits is a very good thing but does anyone have any thoughts on how this could affect us?

A really am asking, I'm not sure of the answer... Thoughts?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm thinking apple included some type of timer for the toggle to appear in iOS 5.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Looks like you're in Canada so the toggle may not be available to you guys yet.

5. Mr. Chewbacca, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Check settings - music - and when your in the music options scroll everytihg up and down. When I did it the iTunes match button popped up.

edit.. I just checked again and it took a second for it to pop up but its there.

If that is an "over the air" update that we couldnt see comming or block then were on a slippery slope.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good point

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

how is this no similar to the hidden 'tethering' toggle based around what sim you have in the phone? Feature has always been there, just conditional... or did I just miss the point!:D

8. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

So you're saying that the toggle was already built into the phone and in theory even if someone had kept the phone in airplane mode the new toggle still would have appeared once a predetermined time/date passed? If that’s the case then no changes were made to the phone and we have nothing to worry about.

However if that’s not the case and the toggle was added to the phone via some kind of over the air update then that means Apple is able to make changes to the system without the user approving the change. If they can do that (add a toggle) they could also make other small changes like fixing an exploit?

I may be way off, again I honestly don’t know the answer..

If Apple could add a new toggle over the air could they also patch exploits or make other small changes automatically?

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I don't know the answer either, but I'd lean towards it was already built in and something triggered it. For example, when I put my China Mobile sim into my iphone 3gs, the tether option shows up - when I similarly put in my ATT sim, it disappears.

I'd lean towards that because I'd assume that Apple would be smart enough to know the crapstorm they'd be walking into if they updated our phones w/o us knowing it, though I don't know the legalities of it at all.

So I'm not really saying anything other than, "Hey, here's my extremely uneducated guess based on zero research!"

10. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

My guess is the feature was built in, but not showing until triggered. Apple can update the iPhone Music Store without having to send an iOS update, the store is on the server end. I think the toggle is linked to the store App and they turned on the feature on their server end it.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The toggle was already there.
    The toggle is tied to the iCloud service.
    It will appear once the service is available.

12. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

LOVE IT:D:D I hate it when people just make s##t up, "I dont know" is a perfectly good answer.. I use it a lot ;)

Looks like the general concensus is that it was already in there and not something that was sent to the phone.

Happy to hear it!:)