If apple comes out with a 6" iphone....wont this overlap?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Misskitty, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

With the ipad mini? Does anyone here have a 5" screen on their phone and a mini? Id think these two devices are too close in screen size to warrant owning both no?

2. WilliamBateman macrumors regular

I have a 5.7 inch Note 3 and a mini. The mini is still considerably larger. Besides, Apple won't jump up to 6, its going to be around 4.5 I'd bet. Can shrink the bezels down keeping the same physical size and making the display larger.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I really doubt that Apple will release a 6" iPhone. 4.5-5"...sure. Anything beyond that is too much.

4. mcmul, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

mcmul macrumors 6502

There's a thought. Would I return the iPad Mini and buy the larger iPad, if Apple finally and rightly released a larger iPhone? Probably not. The phone is used for calls, texting, photos and short reading. The larger iPhone would simply make looking at photos and reading easier. However it still wouldn't be as good as the 7.9" Mini display for larger articles and books. Also I find the gestures of the iPad more natural and I believe this alone increases my productivity when researching. The reason I want the larger iPhone, around 5-5.5", is because it is my go-to mobile device when in work or walking around and so I would like to do more on it. So, make reading easier, make looking at photos easier, make typing and formatting easier and make watching videos more comfortable.

I initially thought the larger iPhone would replace the iPad altogether but after more consideration I still think the Mini has a place in my "technology bag" - particularly after thinking about my researching productivity.

5. aztooh macrumors 6502a

People that think these "phablet" phones, and even devices like the Galaxy S, are of similar size compared to even the smaller tablets.

To get to 4.5, I definitely think the device would have to grow a bit. Make the bezel on the sides too small and you'll have to deal with accidental inputs just from holding it. And there's not much room on the bottom if they're going to keep the home button.

Still considerably smaller than the mini, though.

6. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Apple will not launch a 6" screen iPhone (not at least in 2014, 2015 or even 2016). Apple will however launch two phones in 2014 like this year. The differences between this year and next year is that Apple will launch two phones the correct way. Instead of launching the same phone twice hence the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C being exactly the same, Apple's two iPhone will both launch with a small screen and a big screen. Apple will potentially launch an iPhone with a screen size of 4.7" and the second iPhone at 5". Apple has to launch with these sizes if it wishes to compete with the HTC One and Galaxy S4 (possibly the 5" Galaxy S5.) Any screen size below 4.7" is a failure as every "flagship" smartphone as of right now has a screen size of minimum 4.7" - 6.44". Blackberry who was spiraling to their doom has launched a 5" Z30 as well as the blackberry Z50 with a 5.2" full HD screen. Apple is the only company with a major "flagship" smartphone under 5". The Blackberry Z10 is 4.2" but is no longer in the equation as it is no longer a "flagship" product, hence the Z30. The HTC One is measures diagonally at 4.7" with full HD resolution W/441 PPI. Another point to mention is that the iPhone does not even have an HD screen resolution. 1136x640 is not HD. The lowest definition of High Definition resolution is 1280x720 followed by the full High Definition resolution of 1920x1080. 640 is not considered HD regardless of the 326 PPI. If Apple wants to reclaim the throne, it needs more then gimmicks to impress people.

7. noobinator macrumors 601

I have 5" nexus 5 and a mini. These are completely different classes of devices. I see no overlap until they go over 6".

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Ummmm just so you know, iPad mini does not make phone calls, so no, it won't.

Are you sure you've seen both phones?