If Apple continues the iPhone c model, will the 6c be a plastic 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shift Option K, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Shift Option K macrumors regular

Shift Option K

I've been thinking about when Apple releases the iPhone 6 and what will happen with the 5s and the c model. Since the 5c is an iPhone 5 with a plastic body, I believe the 6c will be a plastic 5s. What are your thoughts?

2. ParagJain macrumors 6502

3. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Then what happens after 6? It won't be iPhone 7c... I guess iPhone 6sC?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If rumors about a revamped screen size are true, I don't see a 4.7+" iPhone 6 and a 4" 6S. I could be wrong though.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't think the 5C will get a refresh this year. I think Apple will put the price down and introduce a new C-model in 2015.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they don't, the internals will be 2 generations back, so it backs sense to update the 5c. I don't see selling a plastic phone at a premium price with 2 year old components.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Apple will have some kind of an "updated" phone with the same screen size as the 5/5S to keep people from freaking out over the larger screened iPhone 6.

8. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Seeing as apple is already introducing 8GB iPhone 5C's I think that wil replace the iPhone 4S and they'll phase out 4S completely. Giving you a lineup of the iPhone 5C the iPhone 5S and the 2 new models of the iPhone 6.

9. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

Have a 16GB 5c (add A/m7 to make it all 64bit) as the low end.

Current iPhone 5s gets replaced with a 4.7 inch A/m8 iPhone air

larger 5inch plus gets added to the mix with the same feature set called the iPhone 6.

This way you have your low end phone and then it only becomes a decision of screen size for the consumer.

This basically mimics the iPad line up.

10. 617aircav Suspended

Iphone air? They won't name a phone after the iPad.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I expect the 6C to look the same as it is now - no change however, the internals will be 5S.

12. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

no one thought they would name an iPad after a laptop.

Besides the phone is more likely to be smaller and thinner than the iPad thus being more air like

13. cynics macrumors G3

The iPad Air is lighter. So to be named the iPhone Air it's going to need to be lighter as well. That's unlikely if the screen size increases. Can't exactly have an iPhone Air if it's bigger and heavier then it's predecessor.

14. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

I don't think they would release it if it was heavier. Apple is all about thinner and lighter... Only acception was the ipad 3 and the retina mini by a fraction. But that was just accommodate the retina which the phone has all ready had.

15. cynics macrumors G3

That's not true. Every iPhone has been heavier then it's predecessor until the iPhone 5. The 5 and 5S sharing the same weight.

Aside from the screen, technology hasn't really gotten any further then the 5S currently is. So assuming battery size doesn't increase they might be able to make the next iPhone a similar weight. Again though that's not "Air" status.

The iPhone 5 could have been labeled the iPhone Air but I don't think we'll see anything lighter from this point on since an aluminum housing is already used.

Again though this is assuming the next iPhone has a larger screen. There are even rumors of a sapphire screen which is heavier then glass plus potentially larger.

I'm not completely committing to my theory I like everyone else will have to wait and see.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My guess is that the 2014 iPhone-C will get a 5S processor to keep it up to date with apps but it won't get a touch sensor or an updated camera flash.

This will allow the 5C to stay up to date with software but will drive an even bigger wedge between it and the premium iPhone 6. (And if it's true that the iPhone 6 will come in 2 new sized that are both bigger than the current screen that would be yet another difference between the 6 and the C. Still not sure about that, though.)

Whether or not this all comes with a price drop, I don't know.

I'm also not sure about the name. I'm sure they'd love to do it like the iPad and not have the name change from year to year, but they went and put a darned "5" in the name. I wouldn't be surprised to see it renamed "iPhone C" or even "iPhone Color" and then not have the name change anymore after that.

17. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I doubt they will put Touch ID onto a C model - the iPad Air didn't even get it.

18. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I have a fantasy of the next iPhone being just like my 5s in every way except half the thickness with twice the battery life. And no flatness. I would pay a lot for that.