If Apple Dead-locks the iPod Touch, I'll return mine on-the-spot!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lin, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Lin macrumors member

What's going on there? I am buying a piece of hardware/software for a hefty price, and I WON'T be able to put the apps I want on it?
    Speak of "open concept"!!!

What is going on, Apple? You don't remember the times when Apple impersonated freedom -or so it claimed- ?

What do you fear by locking the IPT? Viruses? You'll get them, IF you lock the system. Giving a fully open system removes the need to crack it... and conversely!!!
    What do you want: people lining to buy IPTs, knowing they'll be able to pile apps on them... or hackers digging into it through the bottom, until they crack it, and they WILL, whatever you do.

Get ready for LOTS of returning IPTs, unless you OPEN the system right now :(

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

why did you buy so many?? :confused:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We've heard it all before but...

I guess that counts for touches as well. There was no statement that you could do what you liked with your iPod touch; it was never advertised or sold as such.

People should do their research before they buy, not after.

4. Lin thread starter macrumors member

I did, and ordered the IPT as soon as the iPhone was freed... but :confused:

And the IPT can't mess ANY phone network ;)

5. James L macrumors 6502a

I am all for opening the platform, but your rant is complete nonsense.

Anyone who bought an iPhone or Touch under the assumption that it will do what they want because it will eventually be opened is an idiot.

Apple has very clearly marked what the iPhone and Touch does. They never said you would be able to "put the apps you want on it".

If you want to buy it as advertised, buy it. If you don't, don't.

Having a temper tantrum because it won't do what you want it to is pointless. And, the hacker community in general is a very small part of the overall user base. There will NOT be a rush of people running to return the Touch's they bought because most people have no interest or knowledge of hacking it in the first place.

6. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Any product you buy, you have to buy with the same frame of mind as I did when buying my own.

I was more than happy to buy the Touch at manufacturer spec, meaning I was willing to part cash for a product I thought was great for me as it stood in the shop floor. Any allusions to the contrary, and I wouldn't buy it - as obviously the product wasn't for me in the first place.

The same is for you. It's no good ranting as you have done. I can understand frustrations at Apple, I have my own.

But if you are 'threatening' to return your Touch because Apple won't implement something you want - then you shouldn't have bought it in the first place! Simply return it, as the Touch is not the product that you want and you should look at other offerings.

I would love to be able to add apps, but I love the Touch as it is right now so anything else Apple adds will be an enormous bonus for me. I can't stand the Mac computer line up as it stands at the moment, and certain hardware limitations imposed by Apple, and I have complained in these very forums about it. But I didn't go out and buy an iMac and THEN complain about what it couldn't do... lol

You need to calm down, and either find some sort of parity with your Touch or come to the realisation you shouldn't have bought the Touch in the first place as it obviously wasn't the right product for you.

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Get returning then, because they put the same basic firmware that locked out the iPhone onto the touch. Why else do you think it's taking so long to crack it?

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

erm, you had better return now within your 2 weeks, if you bought a product on the assumption it would do something not advertised, or yourll have no chance. I think the iphone has brought 'hacking' to a lot of people not used to hacking, Rule number 1 in hacking anything, Dont do any official updates, its a hack, look the definition up, if it wasnt a hack it would be a feature. this whole subject is starting to annoy me, the touch and iphone are amazing, and are also brand new, they will improve over time.

9. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

In line with this thread:

http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-adopts-sidekick-application-distribution-model-234545623

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

dont worry, i have full confidence in hackers. may take 1 month or two.

maybe we won't get anything other than the apps on iPhone already, but its a good start.

at worst, you can sell it on ebay for $200.

11. dagored macrumors 65816

12. Lin thread starter macrumors member

Hello you guys, and great thanks for the replies. I KNEW I'd get some true-to-heart comments by being a bit provocative :D

Did not return it yet, as it was JUST delivered to my desk... while I was away from the office. Shall check it thoroughly before taking any definitive decision :)

13. Dublo7 macrumors regular

The thing will be hacked soon. Then all you gotta do is avoid the latest updates.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you bet. apple will getting bashed more for these type of behavior, which is surprisingly retro in 21st century.

15. Sagemaster macrumors newbie

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I have no doubt in my mind that the Touch will be hacked and modded, maybe a whole new OS can be created but it takes time so be patient. I had gotten my Touch way before launch and iv'e been waiting for something a lill extra, not that what I already have isn't already spectacular, but mods and hacks are fun.

16. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

"Blame" Wifi iTunes. When customers and their data/money is concerned you have to appreciate that's a valid justification for further securing the devices.

17. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

agreed. I think we will see apple start selling apps at some point in the future, probably not the near future though since we see the newton on the horizon. seems crappy that apple would do that to us, however, it is a business.

My ipod plays music pretty well, so I'm happy. I also wonder, since apple has declared it a 'cat and mouse' game at the consequences of said hacks. The ipt has too many problems for me not to get the new updates. at some point it will level out. I think it would be wise for everyone to take a step back and remember this is a first generation apple product... and these are the kind of things that come with it.

Arisian

18. Lin thread starter macrumors member

WHAT??? THE NEWTON IS BACK???
    This is probably the cause of all my rants against the IPT: I was just expecting (since 1992) a new Newt :rolleyes:

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't believe that. I know apple's developing capability isn't that outstanding, but I won't buy the excuse that a online music store cause closed down of the whole ecosystem. Apple have to be REEEEEAAALLLLY weak in coding a simple app to make that excuse barely reasonable.

even without wifi music store, people still doing transactions through mobileSafari. so what?

It might happen. but how many app can apple make for iPT? controlled freedom isn't freedom.

on a plus side, once they offer paid app for download, reverse engineering would be easier too....I hope so, at least.:rolleyes:

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry dude, I bought an iPhone, and like me, it's an iPod which is CLOSED...

You can't put apps on it, but Apple can. If you want an "open" system - go with Nokia or the Zune...

21. Lin thread starter macrumors member

Right... but it HAS BEEN opened :)

22. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I think you'll all find that games and some additional apps will be coming soon, to buy of course, from Apple and selected 3rd party partners.