Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Power Macintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
What if Apple decided to go back to PowerPC, would it be a good idea? Are you in favor of Apple going back?

Okay then. I'll take that as a no.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I believe that it is exceptionally unlikely that it would ever happen. I also think it would be a step backwards. I can see Apple switching to ARM before going back to PPC.

jtcedinburgh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
What if Apple decided to go back to PowerPC, would it be a good idea? Are you in favor of Apple going back?
What if we all went back to black & white televisions without remote controls? Or video cassette recorders? Or cars with gear levers on the outside?

Sometimes, progress is inevitable and one can never, ever go back...

I, for one, welcome my i7 octo-core Nettle Bridge retina++ overlords...

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Not going to happen. No technical advantage to return to that processor design.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
PowerPC as we know it, i.e. a cpu for general purpose computing, is gone. It's now an open standard (The Power Architecture) and its descendents include the Cell processors used in the PS3 and XBox 360.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Highly unlikely

They abandoned the PPC platform because the chip makers, IBM and Moto were unable to keep up with intel on the performance front. Additionally both chip manufacturers continually had issues providing apple with chips in quantity.

It makes zero sense to abandon a platform that has revitalized and transformed the Mac.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Apple could easily switch to AMD or ARM processors because that wouldn't involve completely shifting architectures.

Power Macintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Of course it's unlikely! I've known that since the transition!
Since the PowerPC was more powerful than Intel before, it's a good processor.
Would you be pleased if Apple went to PowerPC?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Of course it's unlikely! I've known that since the transition!
Since the PowerPC was more powerful than Intel before, it's a good processor.
Would you be pleased if Apple went to PowerPC?

It was a good processor, but not when it came to power consumption. Intel is far too ahead now. ARM is the real threat to Intel to now, and they know it, as has been pointed out above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.