If Apple designed desks....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HudsonsHalfHour, Oct 27, 2009.

1. HudsonsHalfHour macrumors member

What do you think they would look like?

What inovative design features would be implemented?

Would it be sloped so any possible clutter would simply roll off?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Would likely look simple and sleek. Think Ikea.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Maybe they would look like this?

[​IMG]

But however they look like, they would cost a fortune, that's for sure! ;)

5. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

6. HudsonsHalfHour thread starter macrumors member

ah the desk that is never going to be available :eek: yeah, like the milk or maybe like the wood vaneer tables they have in store. could come with a little :apple: square of sandpaper in case you mark it

7. 05slvrscape macrumors member

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

It was (I don't know if it's still now) available in Germany for 1700€ (2500$) for the basic configuration.

Very nice desk, but a central foot is pretty uncomfortable If you ask me. No way to stretch out the legs.

Design is one thing, usability the other. Personally, I definitely stick with the latter.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Here's something that might be interesting:

[​IMG]

They make it in silver as well (Source). :)

10. gjw4u macrumors 6502

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

LOL. :)

Lian Li's main business is computer cases, and they showed it with one of their models, as well as an optional mount. Check out the link beneath the pic. ;)

12. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

This is quite a neat idea:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if i'd buy one though!!

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

OneLessDesk by Heckler Design

[​IMG]

This is the desk that I have, the one in silver, which matches any aluminum Mac perfectly. God I love this desk. The concept behind the desk was for macs specifically. The guy who runs the company is a really nice fellow too. As a minimalist type of person, this is the best and most beautiful desk I have ever used.

Expensive but unibody in design! :D Except for the cable management system hiding behind it of course.

http://hecklerdesign.com/

14. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Thats one hell of a nice desk.. it doesnt seem to be the most practical of all things though.. is it? also i imagine it most likely gets cold quickly eh? easy to clean up spill though i bet.. further point.. can you actually see where your mac finishes n the desk starts? :p

Apple in the furniture business would be fuuun!!
    :apple:

PTP

15. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

It is a nice desk but where would you put everything? I have stuff strulled all over my office, would anyone really be able to keep a desk that tidy??

16. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Exactly, which is why I think its only for the ultra minimalist. If you don't have papers or clutter, then its the ideal minimalist's dream desk :D

But the owner understands that the real world still uses paper so they now offer a matching file cabinet on their site, but its also quite pricey....

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It does get cold, but it also warms up quickly, so I've never really had a problem with it lol. I don't think it was intended to be a practical work station, however, the bottom desk is well thought out because it slides out and can act as a second desk that can be placed anywhere. You can check the site out for examples of what I mean.

I love it though because when not in use, the bottom desk hides underneath the main desk, and the whole thing barely takes any space at all. It was designed to have as minimal of a foot print as possible, which definitely follow's Apple's own design philosophies.

Yea it blends nicely with any mac sitting on it, but on the site, it notes that the metal used is not actually aluminum but another type of metal that gives the very similar appearance of aluminum. Believe me though, it compliments beautifully. Its definitely a work of art as well as just a desk :p

18. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Don't get me wrong having paper in an office is great, but I was more thinking about all the mini USB gadgets that seem to collect, I mean there's no where for the USB fridge, USB hover, USB Windturbine, USB lighsaber, USB humping dog, the list goes on and on and on!!

Surely a truly modern desk would come with these stupid things that we buy each other to make work less boring built in!!! :)

19. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

lol!! my mates are thinking of networking a kettle, seeing how it goes from there, i think there was mention of a webcam, but the thing might get hot on top of a kettle, so hmmmm maybe not..

Lol so probably not the best for encoding a 1-2 hour movie in final cut on then? heat burn anyone?? lol!!

It certainly looks the part i will give ya that, it definitely should be part of apples display stand for the 27" imac!! lol. that would loook saawwweeet :)

PTP

20. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Just had a look on the website, if I really tried I could keep my desk at home slightly more tidy, but $650 for a desk!! I wish I could afford to spend that sort of money on a ridiculously un-usable desk, plus importing it to the UK!!!

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh no, I don't mean it gets warm as in hot hot. I used to game a lot on an older MBP before and the fans would be working fulltime, but the desk never heat up to where it was uncomfortable. It was just easy to get from cold surface to room temp.

Yea it's pricey haha. No way you can sugar coat that price tag either, short of reading reviews. If I recall, the high price is mainly attributed to the difficult process of cutting the metal specifically to the shape that it is.

22. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

That looks like something that would come from lenovo/ibm.

23. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

There would be two versions, 1 without a keyboard tray and a high end/more expensive one with a keyboard tray. Then everybody will start complaining how the low end desk doesn't have a keyboard tray then Steve Jobs will say "Not many users who buy cheaper desks need a keyboard tray." Then this would start another controversy. It's the Circle of Apple.

24. Gil2264 macrumors newbie

College Style...

PVC Shelving, a little creative plastic pipe cutting and viola...

Attached Files:

25. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Start out with 4'X4' recycled 3/8 plywood.
    Use the frame of bent aluminum from a lounge type lawn chair with disintegrating fabric.
    Recycle some copper pipe from a plumbing project for reinforcement,
    Two new u bolts and a pair of 1' and a half in bolts and nuts will finish it off.

First picture is the top held up vertical to the floor to show the framing underneath.

Next pic is of the bare top. Notice the forward 'wings' for peripheral attachments.

Next's the resulting utility of the cantilevered top holding a fair amount of weight forward while the AIO anchors the rear.

Attached Files: