If Apple does come out with an "iPad mini" which device(s) would you buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Night Spring, Apr 29, 2012.

?

Assuming three iOS device sizes, I would buy/use:

1. All three sizes

19 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Just one of the three

15 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. iPad (big) and iPad mini (medium)

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. iPad (big) and iPhone/iPod touch (small)

39 vote(s)
    44.3%
  5. iPad mini (medium) and iPhone/iPod touch (small)

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry about yet another poll, but I just wondered, if Apple did come out with an "iPad mini" so that we end up with three iOS device sizes -- big, medium, small -- what combination of devices would you likely buy / use?

1. All three sizes
    2. Just one of the three
    3. iPad (big) and iPad mini (medium)
    4. iPad (big) and iPhone/iPod touch (small)
    5. iPad mini (medium) and iPhone/iPod touch (small)

2. WSR macrumors regular

For me the iPod Touch is a perfect size for carrying around in my pocket.
    While the iPad, though not as portable as the iPod Touch, is more portable than a laptop. Thus, making it easy to carry when I need the larger screen.

A iPad mini would seem to be not as portable as the iPod, while not much more portable than the current iPad.

Therefore for me, just the iPod Touch and the iPad 3 would be good enough.

3. jbimler macrumors regular

I'd buy both. My wife loves the size of the Fire but obviously prefers Mac. My kids are also looking at the Touch fo Christmas unless the smaller iPad drops.

4. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

Both? But what about an iPod touch or iPhone? The reason I created this poll was to find out how many people will use *all three* iOS device sizes if there was an iPad mini. Thanks!

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Depends on if they make the iPhone bigger. IMO, 9.7" is too big to carry everywhere and 3.5" is too small for a modern device. If we got a 4" screen I wouldn't need a 7" iPad, but if Apple continues to stick with an outdated screen size then I'd strongly consider an iPad Mini.

6. bufffilm, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

the majority of the time i use my ipad for reading, whether it's ebooks, pdfs or comics... all of which would be a lesser experience on an mini-pad.

i don't see myself buying a mini-ipad unless i could get a 16gb model for $200.

i do think a mini-ipad would be another cash-cow for apple. consumers who prefer a 7-8" tablet would get their wish, not to mention the apple-holics would buying the device in droves. it would certainly cut into the marketshares that the Fire and Nook Tablet have.

it'll be interesting so see what price-point this needs to be at for people to consider buying one. i think that would be a more interesting poll, eg. at what price point would you consider buying an ipad-mini.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

All three

I use my iPhone heavily and my iPad daily.

The iPad mini would probably be the device I just grab with me on the go moreso than the larger iPad.

I'm not worried about text size. I use Reader, Instapaper and Readibility to make text reading easy.

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I voted all 3 because the iPad Mini would be perfect for my wife. I've already showed her the size and she really liked it. I doubt I would get all 3 JUST for me, even though I agree the mini would be the perfect size for bed reading.

9. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Well, I already have an iPhone 4S and 3rd Gen iPad, so I guess the 4th option. I don't see the Mini in my purchasing future. The iPhone makes up for the iPad's bigger size. I don't see a need for a 7" iPad.

If I didn't already have an iPad, I would probably go with the Mini. But its not necessary now.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Judging by how my wife is constantly glued to either her Kindle 3 or her iPod Touch, she would be getting an iPad Mini. I myself would be sticking with a regular iPad.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm not sure actually. I definitely wouldn't have both the current iPad and iPad mini, I would choose one. I'm not sure which thought because both are convenient in their own way.

12. seajewel macrumors 6502

If an iPad mini were available now I probably would have ordered it over the iPad 3 as long as it had a retina screen. I would love to try reading on an iPad, although I love my Sony Reader PRS-950.. I find the 7 inch-8 inch size perfect for that. The current iPad is too big to carry around everywhere easily for me, and not a comfortable weight to hold up while reading. but then again if the iPhone had a slightly bigger screen I would be happy too. I find it slightly small for comfortable web browsing in bed/sofas, and that's what the iPad is for now, and for small tasks of writing.

13. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I would not be in the market for a smaller iPad. I have the iPad 2 and love it, the size is perfect. I have an iPhone 4 and will most likely upgrade to the next model this fall.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I want current size iPad and bigger iPhone (like 5" screen bigger)
    This would be perfect for me :D

15. jbimler macrumors regular

Personally I'd continue using the iPhone, and iPad; all three would be in my family though.

16. UTVOL06 macrumors member

UTVOL06

I like a big screen iPad. I have an iPhone for portability and phone calls. No mini for me. On a side note an ipad mini would probably be a less expensive option for a child.

17. jojoba macrumors 68000

I need the screen size of the current iPad to read pdfs. I nearly always carry my iPad with me but also have an Android smart phone. Those two cover all my needs.

18. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

The iPod Touch has got to be the most powerful, skinniest shirt pocket sized computer with a retina screen to boot. Its like likesomething from Sci-fi and a miracle of software and hardware engineering.

But some people are never happy whatever they get.

19. uzair21 macrumors newbie

I would just stick with the current one. Somehow, I don't feel the need for a smaller screen iPad (or a tablet for that sake). I know most people love 7 inch screens, but it is either a 3.5 inch phone or a 9.7 inch tablet for me. Nothing in between.

20. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

None unless they do something about the cr**py build quality.

21. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I have my iPhone, of course, and love it, and will continue to use an iPhone forever :D

I have an iPad 2, and ADORE the thing, and carry it in my purse, however while it FITS, I cannot snap my purse shut...And, this purse is as large as Im willing to go. I don't need to haul a tote bag around! So a smaller iPad would be great, for in the purse. I actually like the size of the Kindle Fire, but I have no desire for a Kindle LOL

I have an iPod touch but gave it to my daughter when i got the iPhone, because it just felt like more of the same thing. If I were to get a smaller iPad, I would either sell the larger one or let the kids use it.