If Apple does go to a 6-month product cycle...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Brien, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

...To compete with Android, etc., how many of you would still upgrade at every iPad/iPhone hardware refresh? Personally I would probably go to once per year or every other year.

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

Other than a retina display cant see much reason to keep upgrading.
    Works now for web, email and basic games...

3. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I think I will as long as there are some good improvements with each new iteration of the product. :) Didn't everyone keep saying that Apple products have incredibly high resale values? So make that count as I doubt there will be much losses in selling & upgrading the iPad every 6 months or so. :eek:

I would love to see Apple very, very aggressively step up & totally crush the competition with 6 month refreshes of the iPad. :)

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Not a very smart move for _any_ company in the tech sector today.

Not enough time to debug and deliver a solid product.

If Apple couldn't even resolve the antenna problem, but rather chose to foist it off on the public, how could they possibly handle a six month product cycle...

5. hismikeness macrumors regular

I would do every third upgrade, ie every 18 months. Just in time for one to become totally obsolete I'd get the newest. Plus, it would give me more time to save.

I don't think :apple: will do that, though. I hope they don't because I think it would hurt the resale value. It's one of the best things about this site (and others) is having the heads up to sell the newest gizmo to someone one month before the newest newest gizmo comes out, offsetting a good chunk of the cost of the new one.

Believe it or not, most people don't keep up on release cycles that closely. Until the new TV ad comes out, they have no idea a new device is available. But, people would catch on pretty quick, I think, if the devices began being upgraded every 6 months. Why buy a used one when the new one is just around the corner.

6. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Doubt it would happen due to them actually having to build them and actually keep up with supply. Personally, it'd be a major waste of resources for Apple to invest themselves in.

7. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

actually i wish apple did 12 months to 18 per upgrade, just think about it. do you think that apple gained people who would not have bought the ipad 1? by releasing an ipad 2?i would prefer if apple had made the ipad 2 first, and then come out with another one in about 18 months......, the product is superior regardless. Everytime a new android comes out im like blah.... my 3gs still satisfies me even though i use to have a droid x......i prefet to have my apple products longer because they really have no reason to be upgraded.....frequently.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

It's not going to happen so there is no point even thinking about it.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

To compete with what again?

In tablet market, there is no competition. iPad is the only tablet that is being sold well. Others are just doing nothing.

Apple will release iphone 5, new ipods and ipad 3 this fall?

No...