Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There are People that will buy it but the question is .... Why am I buying a similar model iPhone if 5G is coming next year?

But how many consumers are even aware 5G is coming in 2020? They don’t pay attention to things like this, but keep in mind, consumers upgrade when they need to, not when they want to. Meaning, if they have an older device that might be sluggish or the battery needs replacing, (and of course if the device is paid off), then they’ll just trade in their device and upgrade to whatever is the latest. They don’t plan for the future like other techies do on here.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
I don't care either way. And it baffles me that anyone else would except stockholders or Apple employees. How many general public people care how many jets Boeing makes? Or tractors John Deer manufactures, or how many Toyota Corollas get sold or rolls of Charmin toilet paper get flushed down the toilet?
The list is endless: toothbrushes, cans of chicken noodle soup? Cotton tee shirts? iPhones?
Who freaking cares? It's not like  is on the verge of bankruptcy.
Information like the one you are stating is useful in determining a segments health, and is an indication to overall performance of that industry, this is used along with other anecdotal information. To make market analyses to prevent or cut off problems that may arise.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think sales are andiredt result of market saturation and the fact that phones are lasting longer. Add to that the cost of phones now and you have a trifecta.

I guess that's my long winded way of saying that I don't expect visual overhaul to really be a main deciding factor.
Yep. At this point in time, I expect the primary reason folks replace their phones more often than other gadgets is battery life or accidental damage.

It's like PC sales. Personally, after I stopped gaming, there was just no need to upgrade my desktop anymore. My current desktop is like 5+ years old (quad-core Ivy Bridge, 16GB RAM, 256GB mSATA + 1TB 2.5" SSD) but it's still more than fast enough for the tasks I use it for (minor web browsing, spreadsheets, Blu-ray ripping, ebook management, local HTTP/FTP server).

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Yes, due in part to market saturation. In other part because a large percentage of people are broken, mindless, emotional, drones who think a new case redesign on a phone would make them happy.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yes, due in part to market saturation. In other part because a large percentage of people are broken, mindless, emotional, drones who think a new case redesign on a phone would make them happy.
This is a key thing, but I think the drop to the new normal will be impeded by many iPhone 6 and 6s users switching in the very near future. iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were the largest selling iPhones IIRC.

Reactions: mrbjr

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's price not design why sales are slowing. A few years ago when the new iPhone was £529 it was easy to upgrade yearly, now it's basically double the price so people are keeping phones longer.

That’s why Apple needs another entry-level segment of an iPhone like the SE, so _if_ this 5.4 inch iPhone proves to be true in 2020, and if it’s a properly priced I’d say somewhere in the realm of $500-$600, Apple needs to expand the demographic of having a phone for everyone with certain price points that they can afford. Consumers don’t care about smart phone designs, not when smart phones generally all look the same.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
That’s why Apple needs another entry-level segment of an iPhone like the SE, so _if_ this 5.4 inch iPhone proves to be true in 2020, and if it’s a properly priced I’d say somewhere in the realm of $500-$600, Apple needs to expand the demographic of having a phone for everyone with certain price points that they can afford. Consumers don’t care about smart phone designs, not when smart phones generally all look the same.
As good as it would be for everyone I just don't see Apple bringing out a new device in that price range anymore, they'd rather people buy older models for that price.

torqueflight

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2018
I will upgrade just to see if I can get a phone that will actually transmit and receive data in “2 bar” areas. My XS is the worse phone I think I’ve ever had for reception reliability. I lose data connection frequently even though the phone shows 2 bars, sometimes 3. This is in my front yard, back yard and sometimes on the interstate. If I weren’t so deep in the ecosystem I’d seriously consider busting out right now. So tired of form over function and being told what I want. Weren’t we all told how nobody wanted a touchscreen laptop? Sure looks like we’re trying to make our “touchscreen” iPads into laptops now... keyboards, mouse support, expanded external device support, etc. Signed, frustrated apple fan.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You make a good point. Prices are high. I think the "thousand dollar phone" everybody was talking about when X was released really made an impression in people's minds.

I wonder if Apple had instead priced it at $899 or even $949 if they had made more sales and overall more profits.

I'm sure a lot of people were saying at the time, "I'm not paying a thousand dollars for a phone!"

The main point of your quote was about market saturation. That’s not going to change with cheaper phones.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Bet you millions continue to buy the phone. How much you want to wager?

Tens of millions of people will buy the new iPhones but tens of millions also won’t. The upgrade percentage is diminishing each year as we well know, so criticism is valid to a degree. It’s telling that Apples flagship devices aren’t the main draw and their mid tier phone is in higher demand this year. I don’t see that pattern changing due to a more attractive price point.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
2 years later a lot of people are still saying this and I’m one of them;)

Hopefully sales drop further down and force Apple to release this rumored Asian phone worldwide
Yes when will it start to switch to not just saying it but not buying it for more people. Think we will finally skip to save some money with the prices continually rising.
[doublepost=1563373467][/doublepost]
Sales are due to the market not no redesign

Sales should improve though in 2020 with new 5G
Yes if it ever gets to where we are. Even when they did LTE in Philly, it took like two years to make it to us, and I don't see any NYC/Philly 5G markets to start. Heck some barely have any of the Northeast at all.
[doublepost=1563373627][/doublepost]
Bet you millions continue to buy the phone. How much you want to wager?
Yes even better are the ones who cry about the price but in their next breath are buying the next one. Why would Apple even care if people keep buying??

Reactions: Oridus

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Tens of millions of people will buy the new iPhones but tens of millions also won’t. The upgrade percentage is diminishing each year as we well know, so criticism is valid to a degree. It’s telling that Apples flagship devices aren’t the main draw and their mid tier phone is in higher demand this year. I don’t see that pattern changing due to a more attractive price point.

Yeah, I agree. However the person I quoted was claiming it would be due to Apple putting out a “trash phone”, which we know isn’t true.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I read, maybe incorrectly, that the way Apple designs its' iphones the design is finalized about a year in advance. So by that reckoning the design was set last September and it will be what it will be.
While mostly true, it doesn't really justify only having two design profiles in 6 years (iPhone 6, 6S, 7, 8; iPhone X, XS and "11")

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I’ve heard iPhone sales are down(?) and was thinking, if Apple releases an “iPhone 11” that looks like the X/XS with the only difference being the camera. Would sales fall even more?

My iPhone X is working great (knock on wood). Battery life is fine, speed is great no slow downs, got plenty of storage for my needs, and since I use a case it looks great. No major cosmetic issues at all. Maybe a few hairline scratches on the screen that are not noticeable at all.

I would not upgrade unless the next iPhone is a major upgrade
Based on what you mentioned here, I really doubt iPhone 11 sales will go off the roof. Since the X and cost hitting the $1000 mark, people are holding onto their phones longer. Especially with 5G, hopefully coming in 2020, that's when you'll see more people upgrade their phones. Also, the issue with tariffs, who knows what will happen to iPhone price tag.

I am, however, planning on picking up an XS if price goes down significantly when iPhone 11 hits the stores. I like the size of the XS. Next year 2020, I'll upgrade my XS Max to the 11S Max, and keep both XS and 11S Max.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Based on what you mentioned here, I really doubt iPhone 11 sales will go off the roof. Since the X and cost hitting the $1000 mark, people are holding onto their phones longer. Especially with 5G, hopefully coming in 2020, that's when you'll see more people upgrade their phones. Also, the issue with tariffs, who knows what will happen to iPhone price tag.

I am, however, planning on picking up an XS if price goes down significantly when iPhone 11 hits the stores. I like the size of the XS. Next year 2020, I'll upgrade my XS Max to the 11S Max, and keep both XS and 11S Max.
I’m not convinced the masses are waiting for 5G with any excitement to be honest. When 4G was launched we didn’t see a surge of people looking to update that I remember and I don’t think 5G is being advertised massively in the few areas where it’s currently available.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m not convinced the masses are waiting for 5G with any excitement to be honest. When 4G was launched we didn’t see a surge of people looking to update that I remember and I don’t think 5G is being advertised massively in the few areas where it’s currently available.

I can tell you personally, 5G is the last thing that really appeals to me. It will take time for it to mature and become more predominant just aside from when it launches. As a matter of fact, I’m not sure that really is _anything_ a smart phone can offer me anymore that would entice me to want to upgrade, because they primarily have hit a point where they really all do the same thing, just slightly different from its competition.

appleguy2019

Suspended
Jul 12, 2019
Illinois
I don't think it matters, nor do I think Apple is in any kind of real trouble here.

Those that know how great and unmatched iPhone is, will stay on iPhone loyally. Those who forget that fact, will leave for Android temporarily, only to come back and beg for forgiveness. So I don't buy into this whole iPhone loyalty "problem".

Don't expect a new design this year. 2020 will be the big change. If you have a XS/XS Max, you can skip this year if you want, but next year is the redesign and hardware outward facing changes. I think the XS Max is still the phone to beat.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
While mostly true, it doesn't really justify only having two design profiles in 6 years (iPhone 6, 6S, 7, 8; iPhone X, XS and "11")
Having to design a product that
1) unique from others.
2) unique from the previous design
3) does not attract copyright infringement claims
4) most people ok with
5) provide a fresh feeling to users
6) industry leading
It is extremely difficult to meet all the de facto requirements listed above. Even though Apple keeps the same design for 6 years, it might still be okay.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Having to design a product that
1) unique from others.
2) unique from the previous design
3) does not attract copyright infringement claims
4) most people ok with
5) provide a fresh feeling to users
6) industry leading
It is extremely difficult to meet all the de facto requirements listed above. Even though Apple keeps the same design for 6 years, it might still be okay.
Of course it might still be okay. Most people don't know or care about this stuff. Diehards notice, but many still stick with Apple because of loyalty.

I admire how far Samsung has come in the same time period. The same year as the iPhone 6 was the Galaxy S5. The iPhone 6 was way better than the S5 in every way ! OK, maybe except expandable storage or removable battery. S5 was cheaper though. But look now.. The S10 has no notch (just a very small chin and camera cutout at the top), higher res and superior display to the XS, triple camera (coming soon to iPhone), reverse wireless charging (also coming soon) headphone jack, USB C, and overall premium design with gently curved edge screen (an overlooked feat of engineering). Samsung has iterated the phone tremendously over the years with 5 different designs over 6 years, whereas Apple only had 2. Sure, the 2020 iPhone is going to be amazing (finally) and the current one is very good, but just not that compelling. It's more complacent than it has to be, presumably for the sake of profits.

Reactions: Breezygirl

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Of course it might still be okay. Most people don't know or care about this stuff. Diehards notice, but many still stick with Apple because of loyalty.
Some, like me, stick with Apple because they make the best products for me.
I admire how far Samsung has come in the same time period. The same year as the iPhone 6 was the Galaxy S5. The iPhone 6 was way better than the S5 in every way ! OK, maybe except expandable storage or removable battery. S5 was cheaper though. But look now.. The S10 has no notch (just a very small chin and camera cutout at the top),
The s10 also doesn’t have a facial recognition system that’s on par with Face ID. Less electronics.

higher res and superior display to the XS, triple camera (coming soon to iPhone),
The s10 doesn’t beat the Xs max in taking better pictures and videos in all scenarios though, and it wasn’t even first with the triple camera.

reverse wireless charging (also coming soon) headphone jack,
Headphone jack gone on the note 10 though.

USB C, and overall premium design with gently curved edge screen (an overlooked feat of engineering).
Samsung can keep usb-c, to me it’s vslue is dubious. Liking the Curved edge screen is subjective.
Samsung has iterated the phone tremendously over the years with 5 different designs over 6 years, whereas Apple only had 2.
To my counting Apple had 4.

Sure, the 2020 iPhone is going to be amazing (finally) and the current one is very good, but just not that compelling. It's more complacent than it has to be, presumably for the sake of profits.
The 2019 phone may be amazing as well. Apple is not a company to trash its value over profits, so I disagree with what was said.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

I admire how far Samsung has come in the same time period. The same year as the iPhone 6 was the Galaxy S5. The iPhone 6 was way better than the S5 in every way ! OK, maybe except expandable storage or removable battery. S5 was cheaper though. But look now.. The S10 has no notch (just a very small chin and camera cutout at the top), higher res and superior display to the XS, triple camera (coming soon to iPhone), reverse wireless charging (also coming soon) headphone jack, USB C, and overall premium design with gently curved edge screen (an overlooked feat of engineering).
Samsung has iterated the phone tremendously over the years with 5 different designs over 6 years, whereas Apple only had 2. Sure, the 2020 iPhone is going to be amazing (finally) and the current one is very good, but just not that compelling. It's more complacent than it has to be, presumably for the sake of profits.

You can admire Samsung all you want but they aren’t doing so well, s9 sales flopped last year and the s10 isn’t doing any better. If you only compare s10 and s10 plus sales to the s9 and s9+ then it’s actually doing worse.

While apple q2 iPhone sales seem to have picked up. Apple sold 16 million iPhone XS Max and 16 million xr models in q1, I wouldn’t call that complacent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.