If Apple don't add TouchID for 2017 and add it back for 2018...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoveToMacRumors, Jul 5, 2017.

1. LoveToMacRumors, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017

LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

It's like having 3DTouch in the 6S and removing it in 7.
    It's like removing the headphone jack in the 7, and adding it back in the 7S/8
    It's like adding the touchbar on the new macbook and remove it a year later...

Woudn't it be really stupid if they really did remove touchid just for the iphone 8 and brought it back next year?

2. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

3. swarlos macrumors 6502

swarlos

It’s like finding the love of your life then meeting his beautiful wife.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Isn't it ironic... Don't you think?

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It's like raaaaaiiin....

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

7. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

Even with Apple marketing I think it's really hard to justify bringing back the headphone jack because it would make them look the fool. This wouldn't work for them anyway as they're actually making profits from the AirPods.

I'm skeptical if Apple will remove TouchID in the long term. TouchID makes it extremely easy to purchase items. I had to disable it for Appstore purchases because it would be so easy to accidentally make purchases. Even with 3D face recognition can still be limitations.

8. recoil80 macrumors 68020

It would be stupid and weird.
    Either touchID will stay there, maybe on the back or on the side and then embedded under the display or they'll ditch it forever in favour of facial recognition.

9. KeanosMagicHat, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

If they do remove it, which is currently looking the most likely situation, then I hope they do add it back in with the XS.

This will give people a choice as to which unlocking method they would like to use.

I realise Apple isn't about choice in the main, but they can spin it whichever way they like.

My gut feel is that for security purposes, given the options, I would choose TouchID

10. 0928001 Suspended

Apple is not going to remove a key feature like that from it's highest revenue source.

Amazing, thoughtless post.

11. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Again I'll point out that they removed the headphone jack from the iPhone 7, a feature much more widely used than TouchID is. USB ports from their computers. The old iPod port from their iOS devices. CD drives from their Macs.

I'm not saying that they will remove TouchID, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do, as it's sort of their trademark to remove features their customers love and use a lot.

12. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Did you read this somewhere or is that just a personal guess?

It's anecdotal, but every single person I know with TouchID uses TouchID many multiple times per day, but not everyone I know uses the headphone jack at all. Or even if they do, they don't use it as often as TouchID.

13. craigio85 macrumors 6502

True, but headphone jacks, USB ports and CD drives were removed on the grounds of being space wasting legacy features. TouchID is something that Apple developed (the implementation, not the concept) and baked into iOS themselves.

14. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

Could be wrong, but I would imagine he/she means that it is widely used across all product sets. The headphone jack was a universal standard long before the iPhone came along and is still used in many products today.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    I agree, the excuse for removal of the headphone jack was that it wasted space, but other global manufacturers still manage to make sleek, attractive phones with the jack in place.

The real reason was Apple wanting to push the market toward Bluetooth Audio.

And as if by magic, the AirPods appeared.