If Apple gives you a multiport adapter ......

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjiangweilan, Oct 30, 2016.

1. jjiangweilan, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

jjiangweilan macrumors 6502

jjiangweilan

If Apple gives a dock inside the Mac box, will it receive less complaint?
    I do think they should provide us with a multiport adapter or something else in the box.
    The complaint is just everywhere now. And the ports are really big concern when consumers buy this new product.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Dock? What kind of dock are you referring to?

3. jjiangweilan thread starter macrumors 6502

jjiangweilan

Oh, I mean a multiport adapter or something.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

They don't give you one in the MacBook box,so I doubt they will...

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

If apple included a dock in the box...kinda like the surface dock and how it connects to a bunch of existing stuff, then yeah. Nobody would complain. But they won't do that. That's like admitting they jumped the gun. Plus they are ALL about profit and less about customer experience so they want you to have to buy adapters. They're in the dongle business now

Thats why it was so shocking apple included the headphone adapter with the iphone 7

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

For most USB devices, it's simple: replace the USB-A cable with a $4 USB-C cable.

For your monitor, get a new $25 cable:
    http://www.dx.com/p/usb-3-1-type-c-...-hd-connection-cable-light-golden-1-8m-389441

Sometimes, it's harder like when the cable is hardwired to the device, like with some external harddrives. I'd say get a $4 adapter for that:
    http://www.dx.com/p/usb-3-1-type-c-to-usb-3-0-otg-adapter-for-macbook-silver-427172

It's harder when you have specialized Thunderbolt equipment. I don't have experience with that.

7. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I think most people, unless they need a new laptop right now, would be smart to just wait a couple years until 1) everything else has adopted usb C and 2) the macbooks themselves are cheaper

Buying now is just paying the early adopters free and having the early adopters frustration with dongles and crap

8. redheeler, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I didn't expect a full dock to come with this generation of MacBook Pro, but I did expect at least a USB-C to USB-A adapter. Not including that with a MacBook Pro is equivalent to not including a headphone jack adapter with the iPhone 7.

However, definitely not the only thing that disappointed me about this new MacBook Pro. Mainly the price point, and the fact it's only good for 8 GB RAM (looking at the 13" model I'd be interested in for the upgrade). Also the little things like the removal of the startup chime and MagSafe.

9. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

why would they give that thing when you are forced to buy it? (extra money, if you get it from them)
    why would they give it to you for free, when they even took the cloth away?

but yes, they should have added atleast the adapter for usb.

10. jjiangweilan, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

jjiangweilan thread starter macrumors 6502

jjiangweilan

The reason is simply. If they give adapters, more people are willing to buy Macs. Even you buy all the adapters, I believe the profit isn't equivalent to one Mac for Apple

11. jerryk macrumors 68020

People will buy the macs regardless of the connector type. Dell, HP, Android phone, etc all already use USB-C. The cables are available for $5 or so. The whole cable connection is overblown.