If Apple improves the Maps app, this is what I want...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I read that they've hired some new people to work specifically for the Maps app, I'm guessing they'll be releasing it for iOS 6.

I hope they are serious about maps and will bring big improvements and make the Maps app a real navigation application.

This is what I'd like it to have...

-Route priority - Shortest, Fastest, Optimized.

-When routing display all kinds of routes to the point all with distances and arrival time pop ups when you tap on them. This is good cause it'll give you an overview of all possible routes and from there you can select the one you want. If you take no action, it should select the route it thinks is the best or your prioritized route from options(Shortest, Fastest, Optimized, etc...)

-Option for 3D orientation of the map

-"Align map to route" Maps does not have that, you can turn on compass but it bad because it asks for a recalibration every time, and if you have an iPhone already in the cradle, it's a pain to remove-recalibrate-place back.

-Routing priority

-Day/Night mode, with auto switch option

-Route recalculation, for when you divert off-route. Should also have an option of when recalculating showing you again, all possible routes, and if you take no action it should take the route it thinks is the best or the type of route you have selected in options(fastest, shortest, optimized, etc...).

-You should be able to drop multiple pins and route between them, also be able to add/drop transit pins

-Avoidance - Toll roads, Ferry, Unpaved roads, etc... Avoid, Allow, Ask.

-Map caching, first when you set a route it should start caching it, so if you set it up at home, you'll have all the data loaded when you leave. Also there should be an ability to download maps for a specific country or a city, it's very handy when you travel abroad. Are you going to Spain? Download the Spanish map before you leave and you're set.

-Search by coordinates, photo(GPS coordinates from a Photo in your Camera Roll or Library)

-"Home" location

-Display speed limits

-Points of Interest display

- Route tracking/trail feature would be nice, with recorded log of speed, distance, time.

-Location sharing/Car Linking - For driving in convoy, two or more cars with constant link on the map with track/trail option... for following if the car in front drives much faster...

...Imagine you're traveling in two cars, both your location(dot) and your friend's dot would show in your(and your friend's) maps, with your friend's dot having a small tracking trail. Would make driving with two cars and following each other so much easier, instead of the usual... "Oh no, he went through the light, and I'm stuck, hopefully he looks back, sees I'm not there and stops to wait for me".

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Good ideas, submit them: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Maps already does cache the map tiles to some degree. I remember caching whole cities on 1.1.1 with my iPod and manually mapping myself around. Works pretty well.

It can already do Latitude and longitude coordinates. They have to be put in correctly for it to work though. For photos in the camera roll and photos library, just use the Places tab in the Photos app.

3. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

You forgot the most important one.... landscape orientation.

4. mattkowalski macrumors member

Motion-X GPS does most of what you mention (including the caching). Might tide you over until a potentially-updated maps app.

5. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You can use Places tab however you can't navigate to that location.

As for caching, I wish it was possible to cache cities and countries, maybe continents, how do Garmin, Navigon, TomTom and others manage to store their data?

Agreed. It should also display your speed, coordinates, time, etc... IMO

Thanks, I've tried that but didn't like the UI and it would be much better if all that was available without downloading a third party app, it's time Apple updated their Maps app, along with some others like YouTube, etc...

EDIT: I wonder who the douchebag is that keeps voting me down?

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Google won't give all those features to Apple since they might reserve those for their own Android system. The only thing I'd like to see is the ability to customize your route like the internet version.

7. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I'd also like a tracking feature, where the app tracks your traveling and records data, max speed, average speed, stopped time, travel time, etc...

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

That's a pretty good set, but just think about the general features that most of the public will use. For example, as someone above posted, please give us landscape orientation.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Google doesn't make the Maps app. They only provide the Map tiles, location searchers, and routes. Apple may be prohibited from adding some of those thing within the agreement to use the tiles. That could be why they are seeking their own map tiles.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sorry but this is complete Apples fault for the crappy map program on iOS. They could provide all that but choose not to.

What Apple needs to do is remove the map app from being baked into iOS and make it a separate App. This would allow it to be updated at a much quicker pace. Much like how Google Maps is not baked into the Android OS. It is updated threw the market place.

11. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

To be fair I think it's provided as a mapping tool, not a sat nav app. There are sat nav apps available in the AppStore.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Google makes money on Ads. The more devices their services are on the better for them.

I think they're is plenty of pressure on them to create a native navigation app. Especially since Android has a very good native one.

13. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That reminds me, there should also be an option to disable that blue tracking dot that shows your position when you open Maps if you just want to use it as a mapping tool, so you don't waste batter life.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can. Just disable location services for the maps app.

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's called turning location services off.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sounds like the OP should just buy TomTom, Magellen, or Navigon app.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

this....

18. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I don't want to go into settings each time I want to disable it.

There should be one more option on that bottom left button, one tap focuses on your current location, if you tap it again a compass turns on and if you tap it one more time it should gray out to indicate that it's off.

I got those, but I want one by Apple and I want it to be free, like Google Maps on Android.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then leave some feedback at Apple's website. I don't think it will every happen, however.

20. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I did leave all of that at their site, doubt anybody reads or pays attention to it though.