If Apple made a HDTV, what would it be like?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Risco, May 15, 2011.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Anyone willing to make a wager on this? I think it is a certainty that Apples next big thing will be a HDTV. The question remains though is what would it look like, and how would it function?

Are we talking multi-touch display? Would it be glasses free 3DTV? What about OLED? Oh and of course, what would be the price point? With so much competition in the sector, can they afford to do their usual and price 33% higher than the opposition just because it is an Apple and their customer service is top notch along with build quality?

Would you pay £2000 for the 32" baseline model, £2500 for the 40" and a bank breaking £3000 for the 46"?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It would be double or treble the cost of a typical HDTV, the only way to get media on it would be via the App Store, and you wouldn't be able to connect it to a non-Apple device without a XXXX-to-Mini Display Port Adapter for the reasonable price of $159.99.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

If Apple did make a TV I don't think it would be very useful, it would be expensive compared to everything else and not offer that many features to tempt people away from the competition.

Personally I don't believe that Apple would make a TV at all, I think it's just wild rumours and speculation.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, it will have multi-touch. Jobs will finally get Americans to get their fat asses off the couch. :rolleyes:

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I just wouldn't think it would work at all even if they gave it their best shot.

6. 87am macrumors regular

I think the question should be "when" they make a TV, not "if". I imagine it will have a gret UI and fluid features (which are two things current TVs suck at). Hopefully Apple will do something different, and noy just trow features like youtube or wifi at te tv and call it awesome. In terms o price, i think that they would make it very competitive! They would be able to supplement their profit margin with the purchases from the app store and accesories. Esenntially I would imagine they would do the same thing they do with the iPad to sell it at such a great price.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

It would be 720p only, because that's "good enough". It also wouldn't have any inputs or outputs, so you'd have to rely on the internal included speakers and wouldn't be able to connect anything to it, especially not a Blu-ray player or a cable box or even an external antenna. It wouldn't even have a tuner.

You'd have to go through the iTunes store for every bit of content.

Oh, and it would cost 2000$ for the 32" model, and be available in a nice silver color.

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I don't see them doing this. The AppleTV + Airplay is their way to get into consumers living rooms. Why pour resources and money into manufacturing, marketing, and supporting a TV in an already saturated market?

Apple TV is in line with their iOS platform (may even see a dedicated app store on it soon!) and is a low price point of $99 so many consumers who have already gone out and paid top dollar for an HDTV can afford to buy this as an add on.

Apple could also license AirPlay for the Sonys and Samsungs of the world to include in their TV's.

9. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Here is a spy shot I got of one in their testing lab.

[​IMG]

and taped to the front was a note from Steve that said:

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

It would be thin!! Thinner than even the thinnest LED screens that are on sale at the moment. And very reflective! So that you can see and talk to your whole family without having to turn your neck from the tv. Hopefully with no antenna issues or yellow patches. And only be serviceable at an Apple store. Oh and the one out next year would be even thinner with a camera built in ;)

11. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

It would be interesting to see how Apple could out do years and years of knowledge the other companies have of HDTV's and then manage to give it enough features to make their astronomical price worth it. Considering Apple buys all its screens, I don't see them doing this.

Of course, this is for the general population. There is no doubt many of you loonies would be standing in line at the Apple store before it was even fully revealed.

Now they could always go the route of making a computer/HDTV for the living room...