If Apple need to replace my laptop.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillEH, Jan 11, 2012.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Will they replace it without my orignal box?

Short story, Apple Genius may want to replace my laptop (no bother if they do or not) if they can't fix my current one, would they allow a replacement without the box? It's early 2011.

Thanks for the input :p

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Yes they'll replace it without the box (speaking from experience, not a guess).

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Same here. MBP replaced w/o having the box with me. It was at home 50 miles away.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Are you talking about a warranty exchange or retail exchange? If the former, then no, if the latter then more than likely.

5. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't they be more likely to do it with a warranty exchange than a retail exchange?

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

That's what I said exactly in my post.

8. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Worst case scenario if you anally need a box if you dont have one there are people who sell them on ebay.

9. diehldun macrumors 6502a

My local Apple Store replaced my 4-year old MBP (previous design) with a brand-new, unibody MBP unit, in the new unopened packaging.

The Genius was willing to replace my old one on the spot- I had nothing with me except the machine itself.

Not even the charger, let alone the box.

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

That's because they don't have the returns for those models available anymore, so they replaced with comparable;e current stock. They did the same for me.

11. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

They replaced mine without the box. Mine literally had a bug in it and it was eating away at my computer. My laptop wouldn't work off the power cord and never would charge. So I took it to the Apple store without a box, they looked at it and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. So, the guy opened it up and found a roach or something in it just eating away at the inside of my computer. So they replaced my entire laptop, and actually upgraded a couple things on it for free. I was highly impressed with their customer service.

12. The General macrumors 601

They can do it either way. You can exchange things without the box. They just keep the box and give you the new computer by itself.

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

Please Google "grammar former v. latter" because that is the exact opposite of what you said in your post.

OP: The box is the least of your worries when looking to replace a laptop ;)

14. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

The OP asked:
    You said:
    To my understanding, this means in the case of a warranty exchange (the former), no, they will not take it out-of-box, but in the case of a retail exchange (the latter), "then more than likely".

So I asked...:
    Do I have my formers and latters mixed up?:rolleyes:

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Oh geez, are you guys serious?!

Let me spell it out to you.

If the former (the first thing I said which warranty exchange) then he doesn't need it, but if the latter (the second thing I said which is a retail exchange) then he more than likely might need the box.

And oh, here's the definition to tickle your fancy
    Okay, that's it for me. This is ridiculous, I'm not going to allow this thread to be derailed to some grammar war.

16. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

My friend this year bought a 15" MBP a week or so before the Feb 2011 refresh (without knowing that there was going to be a refresh obviously). He threw away the box thinking that he wouldn't need it. When the Sandy Bridge models came out he took it back and even though he didn't have the box they were happy to do the exchange for the newer model without any questions. The only thing they did was keep the box for the newer computer and use it to send his old one back.

17. chillfrilla macrumors member

right....

18. acfusion29, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

well, if you confused more than one person then it's likely you're in the wrong.

you confused me as well, and i read it over 100x and couldn't figure out what the hell you were trying to say and gave up. :eek:

the question was:

to translate it for you since you were trying to be cool using big terms on the internet...

"if it's a warranty exchange, then they will not replace it without the original box"

and

"if a retail exchange, then they will more than likely replace without original box"

19. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

20. chillfrilla macrumors member

apples fixes, not replace

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

but you answered NO to the former aka warranty exchange