If Apple need to replace my laptop.....

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Will they replace it without my orignal box?

Short story, Apple Genius may want to replace my laptop (no bother if they do or not) if they can't fix my current one, would they allow a replacement without the box? It's early 2011.

Thanks for the input :p

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Same here. MBP replaced w/o having the box with me. It was at home 50 miles away.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
My local Apple Store replaced my 4-year old MBP (previous design) with a brand-new, unibody MBP unit, in the new unopened packaging.

The Genius was willing to replace my old one on the spot- I had nothing with me except the machine itself.

Not even the charger, let alone the box.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
That's because they don't have the returns for those models available anymore, so they replaced with comparable;e current stock. They did the same for me.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
They replaced mine without the box. Mine literally had a bug in it and it was eating away at my computer. My laptop wouldn't work off the power cord and never would charge. So I took it to the Apple store without a box, they looked at it and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. So, the guy opened it up and found a roach or something in it just eating away at the inside of my computer. So they replaced my entire laptop, and actually upgraded a couple things on it for free. I was highly impressed with their customer service.

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
The OP asked:
You said:
Are you talking about a warranty exchange or retail exchange? If the former, then no, if the latter then more than likely.
To my understanding, this means in the case of a warranty exchange (the former), no, they will not take it out-of-box, but in the case of a retail exchange (the latter), "then more than likely".

So I asked...:
Wouldn't they be more likely to do it with a warranty exchange than a retail exchange?
Do I have my formers and latters mixed up?:rolleyes:

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Please Google "grammar former v. latter" because that is the exact opposite of what you said in your post.

OP: The box is the least of your worries when looking to replace a laptop ;)
The OP asked:

You said:

To my understanding, this means in the case of a warranty exchange (the former), no, they will not take it out-of-box, but in the case of a retail exchange (the latter), "then more than likely".

So I asked...:

Do I have my formers and latters mixed up?:rolleyes:
Oh geez, are you guys serious?!

Let me spell it out to you.

If the former (the first thing I said which warranty exchange) then he doesn't need it, but if the latter (the second thing I said which is a retail exchange) then he more than likely might need the box.

And oh, here's the definition to tickle your fancy
for·mer
preceding in time; prior or earlier: during a former stage in the proceedings.

lat·ter
being the second mentioned of two ( distinguished from former): I prefer the latter offer to the former one.
Okay, that's it for me. This is ridiculous, I'm not going to allow this thread to be derailed to some grammar war.

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011

If the former (the first thing I said which warranty exchange) then he doesn't need it, but if the latter (the second thing I said which is a retail exchange) then he more than likely might need the box.

Okay, that's it for me. This is ridiculous, I'm not going to allow this thread to be derailed to some grammar war.
My friend this year bought a 15" MBP a week or so before the Feb 2011 refresh (without knowing that there was going to be a refresh obviously). He threw away the box thinking that he wouldn't need it. When the Sandy Bridge models came out he took it back and even though he didn't have the box they were happy to do the exchange for the newer model without any questions. The only thing they did was keep the box for the newer computer and use it to send his old one back.

chillfrilla

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
They replaced mine without the box. Mine literally had a bug in it and it was eating away at my computer. My laptop wouldn't work off the power cord and never would charge. So I took it to the Apple store without a box, they looked at it and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. So, the guy opened it up and found a roach or something in it just eating away at the inside of my computer. So they replaced my entire laptop, and actually upgraded a couple things on it for free. I was highly impressed with their customer service.
right....

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

well, if you confused more than one person then it's likely you're in the wrong.

you confused me as well, and i read it over 100x and couldn't figure out what the hell you were trying to say and gave up. :eek:

Are you talking about a warranty exchange or retail exchange? If the former, then no, if the latter then more than likely.
the question was:

to translate it for you since you were trying to be cool using big terms on the internet...

"if it's a warranty exchange, then they will not replace it without the original box"

and

"if a retail exchange, then they will more than likely replace without original box"

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

but you answered NO to the former aka warranty exchange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.