Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
so you would rather have a beautiful laptop, over one that's been built from the ground up to be the finest laptop in the enterprise?

let's see, what's the industry benchmark for build quality? thinkpads
the benchmark for battery life? thinkpads
the benchmark for durability? thinkpads
the benchmark for best keyboard on a notebook? thinkpad

i'm sorry, i love pretty things, very much, doesn't mean i would own them. you can get a ferrari body and stick it on top of a honda civic, it doesn't change the fact that it's still inferior under the bonnet

i love my iMac, and i love my thinkpad, all i'm saying is make macbooks as strong, and as useful as thinkpads.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
DevilsRejection said:
The macbook, seriously, look at that damn border around the screen, what a waste of space...

What... like this?

sc001.jpg

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
DevilsRejection said:
so you would rather have a beautiful laptop, over one that's been built from the ground up to be the finest laptop in the enterprise?

I think you meant "in the industry" - and yes, I would rather have a beautiful thin MacBook Pro that will break when I drop it than a bulky ugly ThinkPad. And I owned one, that means I can say whatever I want. You, why, you dont even own one!

BTW, your car analogies are ridiculous.

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
The Z is an abomination, and I will be the first to admit that it's the bastard child of the Lenovo merger.

The equal to it is the toilet seat ibooks in orange and blue

tang_ibook.jpg

seriously wtf was apple smoking at the time

But look at the border around the screen of my notebook

ibm-x40.jpg

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
DevilsRejection said:
The Z is an abomination, and I will be the first to admit that it's the bastard child of the Lenovo merger.

Are you seriously comparing an 8 year old laptop to a brand new one?

Besides, I still think the iBook looks better. I owned one of those too. In fact, that is what I replaced my ThinkPad 770E with... my iBook was dark blue though, and had FireWire. In fact, come to think of it, that generation of iBook was WAY more sturdy than any ThinkPad I've ever used or seen.

You could drop those from two stories and they'd be fine - except for hard drive damage.

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
I'm not going to debate you on the looks of anything since that is personal preference and everyones opinion differs. The Thinkpad has always been the conservative business laptop, keeping the same physical attributes for the past 20 years.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I edited my previous post several times, you might want to read it again.

DevilsRejection said:
I'm not going to debate you on the looks of anything since that is personal preference and everyones opinion differs.

Then why do you keep posting pictures of random computers and making ridiculous car analogies?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
generik said:
Needless to say the AlPB look is nice too, but try using it as a door wedge and you see the door tear through the aluminium like it is not even there :rolleyes:

The Al look does not justify its fragility. If I want a tin can (correction, a weaker than tin can) metal to form the casing of my computer I will just settle for a tin can instead.
Wow, apparently you don't know a damn thing about anodized aluminum. It's stiffer and lighter than steel, and it moves heat around a hell of a lot better. It is only easier to machine than steel, which involves the use of a very hard cutting tool rotating at several hundred RPM (or in the case of a lathe, the part revolving at several hundred RPM). Compare that to plastic (The Thinkpads use a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic, so this doesn't apply) which will crack when dropped, versus the bend or dent the aluminum case will acquire, which, depending on the location, can be fixed with as little as a hammer (just make sure you take the internal parts out first.)

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
generik said:
The Al look does not justify its fragility. If I want a tin can (correction, a weaker than tin can) metal to form the casing of my computer I will just settle for a tin can instead.

Actually the Aluminum skin is only there for aesthetics, and for protection from the elements. The actual stiffness of the computer is provided by an internal skeleton. Because of this, it doesn't matter how strong or weak the external skin is, other than to prevent cracks (which plastic can't do - thank god we have aluminum).

DevilsRejection said:
To make comparisons

...that don't make anysense, and in some cases only further prove the pro AlBook point.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
dpaanlka said:
In fact, come to think of it, that generation of iBook was WAY more sturdy than any ThinkPad I've ever used or seen.

You could drop those from two stories and they'd be fine - except for hard drive damage.

You bring up a good point with this. Apple's laptops (and computers in general) back in the days of the toilet seat iBooks were much more sturdy and reliable than the ones today. I still think those iBooks were hideously ugly but they were sturdy. However, today IBM Thinkpads are far more sturdy and physically more reliable than Apple laptops. Now the OS that runs them... that is a different story.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
A bit off topic...

People keep saying whatever laptop can be dropped from this many feet or this many stories high...

WHO THE HELL ACTUALLY SEEN ONE IN REAL LIFE AND THEN TURNED IT ON THEMSELVES TO SEE IF IT WORKED?! Why on earth would you want to witness such a thing and not try to stop it?!

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
wako said:
A bit off topic...

People keep saying whatever laptop can be dropped from this many feet or this many stories high...

WHO THE HELL ACTUALLY SEEN ONE IN REAL LIFE AND THEN TURNED IT ON THEMSELVES TO SEE IF IT WORKED?! Why on earth would you want to witness such a thing and not try to stop it?!

I dont know... I was just making ridiculous exaggerated claims to go along with the OP's ridiculous exaggerated claims.

Although, I did own both a very bulky ThinkPad 770E and an iBook 366 FireWire - I would guess the iBook would win hands-down in a drop-test.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I'm really enjoying this thread :) Perhaps it is separating the more business minded of us (sadly sometimes me) from the creative (what I wish I had more of) haha :) :p

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
lol... it is quite the exaggeration though... falling from two stories and only the hard drive fails

I think it is their time of the month ;)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
DevilsRejection said:
Don't even throw out the excuse of first generation product. My thinkpad x40 is first generation, my friends t60 is first generation. my mom's dell 9300 is first generation, and we don't have these issues.
QUOTE]

Well those are all none Apple things, thats like saying buy a PS3 because Nintendo makes good Rev A stuff, it simple makes no sense.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
DevilsRejection said:
So what if they look like they're from the 80's?

the mac books are fragile, heavy, heat, and have poor battery life.

I care if it looks like its from the 80's for one!

As for the 2nd comment the battery life on a MacBook is no worse then my iBook(my brother has a MB and I and iBook) As for being heavy , its not. I just went, pick up a MacBook, then did it to my iBook, the difference is hard to even feel.

And how the hell is a laptop "heat" ?

Have you ever used a MacBook/Mac Book Pro outside of an Apple store? or are you just retelling others post?

And yes i am feed into this persons comments because i LOVE a good old debate!

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
wako said:
A bit off topic...

well I know the think pad can survive a at least a 4ft drop on to a tile floor and be just fine. dog got in the house and cause my dads to get yank off the isiand to the floor. Works just fine. (mind wathcing the world go in to slow motion was not a plesent feeling).

Mostly what it saying is dont test it but we built it to take some abuse. Even the person who is the most careful with there laptop something can easlily happen out side of there control that cause damage.

Just go looking for post on people apple laptop takes a fall damage. It happens. Heck I had one of my laptop go roll down the stairs it bag once game out working just fine (it was set at the top stair while I was ran back to grab something. Yeah that was not a pleasent sound at all). Work just fine.

Apple laptop Macbook pro and powerbooks just can not take that much abuse or wear and tear as other laptops and I wish apple would increase the ammount of every day life wear and tear it can take. It a laptop, It should be expect to take some bumps hits and banging around because it designed to move around a lot. We all seen how much our bags get hit and bump. Those hits are going to go to the laptop as well.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
I'm not really seeing the point of this thread. The vast majority or none bargain budget PC or mac laptops are reliable. In the passed 12 months I've worked on 3 Thinkpad's; 2 R51 (I think that's it) and an X40. The X40 suffered a failure to the VGA port and one of the R51's suffered a hard drive and combo drive failure. The vast majority of PC's use off the shelf components which are mass produced and there fore reliable. Like any equipment though they can fail.

I made the point when the 15in MBP was released it was a rush job in order to get a product on the market. The 17in MBP and MB are far better and exhibit fewer issues. It should be noted though that none of these problems actually cause the units to fail. The heat issue is a joke; I've currently got a 1.67GHz 17in PB and it runs at temperatures that often exceed those reported by MBP owners. The machine is wafer thin and clad in one of the most heat conductive materials available in the mainstream what do people expect. My Rev A 17in PB depsite the lower spec, compared to current machines, ran even hotter and had the fans (forget mooing this was loud) blew frequently. The problem with custom components and cutting edge design is that you will encounter bugs but these get resolved. The likes of IBM get solid machines because they don't take the same risks, battery life is better because they have physically bigger batteries (never seen a thinner battery then the 17in PB/MBP) and you have to compare machines spec for spec before comparing such things. There target markets call for different qualities.

A friend dropped a TiBook down a flight of stairs, it was the worse for wear but continued to work flawlessly finally passing away after a drop on to a concrete pavement :( Both design and keyboard quality are down to the individual user, for me neither of these are better on the IBM products. I've never had any issue with the durability of my Apple machines and I've had quite a few.

Calling any Apple laptop heavy is interesting, some IBM laptops may be light until you take in to account the industrial sized power adaptor and mains plug ;)

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
i agree with the OP. you don't have to trash PCs and other computers just because you love apples. apples are nice but they arent godsends either and definitely have their share of faults. ...but this is a mac forum though.

on another note, i originally considered a thinkpad (lenovo) too when i was deciding about what notebook to buy. they costed more than the macbook and that was the deal breaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.