Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I've owned just about every iPad and my favorite is still my mini. A bezel-less mini would be a auto-buy … but at what price?

Reactions: three

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I've owned just about every iPad and my favorite is still my mini. A bezel-less mini would be a auto-buy … but at what price?
If it's a pro, somewhere between $500 and $600, if it's a non pro, but bezel-less nonetheless (no pro motion, no quad speakers etc) it could be at the same price as now, and anyway under $500...

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
If it's a pro, somewhere between $500 and $600, if it's a non pro, but bezel-less nonetheless (no pro motion, no quad speakers etc) it could be at the same price as now, and anyway under $500...

I would be happy with a non-Pro bezel-less mini, but I can't see them making it because they want $$$.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's $399 for mini 5 and $499 for Air 3 so I expect an iPad Pro mini to be around $699.

That said, I expect the design language and FaceID will trickle down eventually (although it could take a couple years).

Reactions: rowspaxe and kazmac

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020

I doubt Apple will do an iPad Mini with the pro features (pro motion, quad speakers, AxX-AxZ chip, LiDAR). If it’s only the bezel-less design with the same actual iPad Mini features, probably 400-500

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It's $399 for mini 5 and $499 for Air 3 so I expect an iPad Pro mini to be around $699.

That said, I expect the design language and FaceID will trickle down eventually (although it could take a couple years).
not if, according to rumors, the air 4 gets usb c, pencil 2 and the pro form factor.... I would say it could be on par with the 9.7 pro at $599...with the 11 half way between it and the 12.9... Having said that, again, in my opinion a mini pro is not happening at all... Apple will refuse to make a mini keyboard (even if brydge has done a decent job at it...) and they might have a hard time cooling some a14X in the mini body... Also the speakers could suffer (the 12.9 resonates more in the larger body and thus the sound appears fuller, as if it had better speakers...). So I highly doubt it, but the form factor, that one I agree, it will come at some point, but it might take years...

Akela_A

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2020
I don't see them increasing the price of the Mini any time soon, instead I expect the Pro design to trickle down to the mid-range versions (Air and Mini). Even with a bezelless screen the Mini probably isn't going to have all the features of the Pro models - I expect the specs to be lower and probably missing some hardware features like the quad speakers, maybe LiDAR and Promotion etc.

I doubt we'll see a full-fat Pro in a Mini form factor if only because it'll mean they'll have to split the Mini into two categories, which is unlikely when the Mini is already the most niche iPad available. And Apple isn't going to abandon the huge market of business users using Mini's for stuff like POS machines or running Foreflight.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't see them increasing the price of the Mini any time soon, instead I expect the Pro design to trickle down to the mid-range versions (Air and Mini). Even with a bezelless screen the Mini probably isn't going to have all the features of the Pro models - I expect the specs to be lower and probably missing some hardware features like the quad speakers, maybe LiDAR and Promotion etc.

I doubt we'll see a full-fat Pro in a Mini form factor if only because it'll mean they'll have to split the Mini into two categories, which is unlikely when the Mini is already the most niche iPad available. And Apple isn't going to abandon the huge market of business users using Mini's for stuff like point of service or running Foreflight.
True. I doubt the market is all that big for an iPad Pro mini.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I just want the pro speakers in my mini 5. That would be enough. Already have the pencil.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Looking at the current lineup, it makes sense that it would be $200 less than the 11” since that is $200 less than the 12.9”.

Now, would people purchase a $599 Mini? I think there would be a big enough market, as long as they kept the same physical size but made the screen pushed to the edges. I would be very tempted to purchase one... on sale!

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
Price isn't an issue. If the spec was top drawer then it would sell. It's just a dream though. I have plans to buy a mini once a new one is released. Currently have a mini 4 cellular which I'm going to retain.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Never thought it would happen, but I’m starting to come around to the idea of one. $599 Mini Pro I probably would, but in the UK with Apple’s £1 = $1, nope. I could swallow the difference on my Mini 5 since I had an iPad 3, but for a Mini Pro I’d end up waiting for a refurb. You’d be lucky to find £20 off RRP otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.