Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If it was thin enough and light weight, I would be all in.

Think about it folks, you’ve got an iPad in the palm of your hands AND an iPhone.

Starting at $899 just to avoid the thousand dollar mark.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i think it was phil schiller (but I'm not sure), who said something about a general strategy or trend that allows you:

- to do work on a laptop that only could have been done on a desktop before;
- and to do work on an iPad that only could have been done before on a laptop;
- and to do work on an iPhone that could only be have been done before on an iPad

apple is doing a rather good job of making that generally true. (although i wish they would hurry a bit faster...)

i think apple is currently at a cross roads kind of turning point on making the jump to allowing iPads to be more productive.
apple can do that if / when it wants to do that, and can devise a marketing strategy that fits chip and app capability to ensure usefulness.

a pocketable device (iPhone/iPad Mini) that allows you to do the work of an iPad is not immediately in the cards right now.

the ultimate (magical !) device will be the one that allows for a "flexible" "screen" (meaning some kind of "display" (which could even be holographic even) that gives you a display from an iPhone size to larger iPad size. but i think its safe to say this is 6 to 8 years from now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Think about it folks, you’ve got an iPad in the palm of your hands AND an iPhone.

It would be a very niche technology that would hold a premium price point. It’s interesting tech, but the question is, does it appeal to the mass demographic who may generally not be interested in that type of smart phone experience? I’m not sure that’s what Apple
Needs to do right now, when the focus needs to be revamping the current iPhone pricing structure first.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It would be a very niche technology that would hold a premium price point. It’s interesting tech, but the question is, does it appeal to the mass demographic who may generally not be interested in that type of smart phone experience? I’m not sure that’s what Apple
Needs to do right now, when the focus needs to be revamping the current iPhone pricing structure first.

Yea right now these prices are just too high.

Maybe introducting the iPhone X for around $799 would have been a much smarter move than to introduce it for $999

Maybe the smart phone market should cap at around that price.

The MAX for $899

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Foldable iPhones are coming in 2020/2021. Base pricing will likely start around USD 1499 to USD 1999 and up. Ex taxes.

I’m pretty sure you’d not like to buy it even at 1499.

Reactions: smorrissey

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The reports/rumors indicate that the foldable Samsung phone due this year will be priced at US$2000. Much of that is probably due to the inevitable shortage of supply for the foldable screens.

I'm not convinced that there is a large enough market for a folding smartphone for Samsung to devote massive investment into the tech for the prices to come down. Sammy'll need Apple to design a folding iPhone in order to generate the necessary demand that creates an adequate ROI.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Everybody wants a larger screen, the only thing holding it back is the technology.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

No chance that type of phone will cost less than the XS Max. So no, it won’t boost sales..

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Didn’t Apple abandon that back when bending iPhones were not well received some iterations ago?
'

Hah, yeah, wasn't that when the other option was a nice sturdy 5C with a silky smooth plastic finish over a steel cage framework. The Volvo of iPhones...

I'm still interested in a phone that would roll up into a cylinder like a fancy cookie. A whole new cottage industry manufacturing "pocket protector" style cases in jelly bean colors or the classic vanilla, strawberry, chocolate... would probably ensue as well. :D

Rollup cookie as iPhone concept.jpg

Reactions: darksithpro and HEK

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
What's with all these "will x boost sales?" threads?
They do it for attention and to boost their thread count. The OP here starts a new thread about every three days...625 threads in the past 4 1/2 years.

Reactions: HEK

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Didn’t Apple abandon that back when bending iPhones were not well received some iterations ago?

If you’re looking for the technical answer, they didn’t abandon anything, they rectified the bending with the 6s 7000 Series aluminum over the iPhone 6 Plus (Which used the 6000 Series) that was experiencing bending for those who primarily ‘sat’ on their iPhones. Two things are not mutually exclusive.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
If you’re looking for the technical answer, they didn’t abandon anything, they rectified the bending with the 6s 7000 Series aluminum over the iPhone 6 Plus (Which used the 6000 Series) that was experiencing bending for those who primarily ‘sat’ on their iPhones. Two things are not mutually exclusive.
Dah?......OK
So that wasn’t first attempt at bendable phones?:rolleyes:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I guess I'm getting old but I don't see the point.
That makes two of us. This topic is slowly slipping into the “most ridiculous, pointless idea” spot for me.

My opinion, of course. I can’t think of a single time I’ve ever been using my phone and thought “Gee, I wish my screen was bigger. If only I could unfold my phone...”. Hell, I don’t even use the iPad I have at home when it’s sitting on the couch next to me. I always reach for my phone.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Foldable iPhones are coming in 2020/2021. Base pricing will likely start around USD 1499 to USD 1999 and up. Ex taxes.

I’m pretty sure you’d not like to buy it even at 1499.
I think that’s more accurate. I’m over it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I think he was joking.

Reactions: HEK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.