Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
That's the problem. If it were about your (or my, for that matter) individual computer needs, the words make no sense any more. Some people could make do with an iPhone or a Palm Pilot, but it wouldn't make either a "fully featured laptop".

Again, it doesn't matter if you personally have no use for it. "Fully featured" laptops have "all" the features so people can pick and choose which to use without having to workaround the things not available on the damn thing, hence FULLY featured.

You should be. However, the MB "pro" is rather useless in the video and audio business, what with the Agere chipset and the lack of support of firewire in the expresscard slot, and since very few of us make enough money to hire people to carry around a macpro, a screen, and huge battery banks, the Mac Pro isn't really made to be used in the field.

"Fully Featured" = Includes everything the buyer/user needs. Period

Firewire is on the way out. USB 3 is on the way in.

DVD/CD is on the way out. Direct software delivery and Flash on the way in.

The computer industry is changing rapidly. Job's himself is a huge supporter of web based application and sees a world of stripped mobile devices relying on the cloud/servers to do the heavy lifting.

I understand your frustration, but you do have other options out there.

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
One thing is for sure. When Apple releases a iTablet device, it will have millions of buyers if that is priced below $1000. Target would be $699 and $899.

Our hope is that it will compliment the existing devices we have like MBA and iPhone. Its intention is to only substitute such devices for a short period of time for specific purposes. eg I want it to allow me to scribble quick notes while its voice recorder records all audio procedings in a meeting. I am using iRiver recorder to do this for a long time now, it is just a hassle to carry 2 devices. iphone still cannot do this...

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
"Fully Featured" = Includes everything the buyer/user needs. Period

No, that's simplifying it too much. Although that it's true, it only adheres to a "general" consumer, not the individual. Hence, a PocketPC will never be a "fully featured laptop". However, if you take what you say and apply it to said individual, it certainly can be, and it has thus lost all meaning.

Firewire is on the way out. USB 3 is on the way in.
Says who? The only company that seems to be outphasing FW is Apple. FW-equipped shipped laptops are on the rise, and there are no heir to take over (No, not USB 3.0 – it may be faster, but it's one-way, and can't do half of what firewire can).

You claim that USB is "on the way in"? Name me one computer which ships with it. And of course, name me one pro audio interface manufacturer who will switch from FW to USB 3.0 when USB 3 comes out. Hell, do the same with a manufacturer of pro video gear.
Impossible? Well, then don't go about claiming those things.

DVD/CD is on the way out. Direct software delivery and Flash on the way in.
Yet your beloved MBA still shipped with optical discs and not a card reader with the install dmg on, say, an SDHC-card.

Further, although CD sales are going down, it's very seldomly possible to buy CD quality (or lack thereof) on anything but optical discs. We don't all want 128kbps MP3/4s.

The computer industry is changing rapidly. Job's himself is a huge supporter of web based application and sees a world of stripped mobile devices relying on the cloud/servers to do the heavy lifting.
So? There are some things that are downright impossible to do through the web by todays standards and speeds. It doesn't matter how it may look in twenty years – unless of course you intend to use your recently purchased computer in twenty years? Quite the investment. I buy computers for the world of today, since I need them today – not twenty years down the line.
Nor would I want sensitive and/or work related stuff uploaded to some third party – even if it was possible to do audio, video, PS'ing (which I don't) over the web.

I understand your frustration, but you do have other options out there.
Of course I do. But that doesn't mean that then everything is not only a-okay, but excellent over here in the Apple-fold.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone remember floppy disks, Apple was the first to phase them out.

Quite the misrepresentation. The floppy disk had a much superior heir: The optical disc.

Firewire does not have an heir – not even if we would be so ignorant as to claim that USB 3.0 was better.

I haven't seen a computer without USB in the last several years.:rolleyes:

Don't be daft. It was VERY obvious that I meant USB 3.0 [shakes head in disbelief] :rolleyes:

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
another 'apple abandons firewire' thread? Last I checked it was still in every product line except 2: the MBA and Alu MB. If they drop it in the upcoming iMacs you have a real discussion, but until then this is a mute point as all they've done is segregated the userbase.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
another 'apple abandons firewire' thread? Last I checked it was still in every product line except 2: the MBA and Alu MB. If they drop it in the upcoming iMacs you have a real discussion, but until then this is a mute point as all they've done is segregated the userbase.

Really? Unless I buy last years technology (the WhiteBook) I cannot buy an Apple laptop with a firewire connection that actually works with most audio interfaces out there. One of them uses an inferior chipset that makes it all hit'n'miss, another doesn't have it anymore and the third (the MBA) was born without it, and the new screens doesn't have it either. So you're saying we should "wait" because Apple haven't planned to ditch it? Are you freaking kidding everyone?

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
Are you freaking kidding everyone?

easy there, its just a tech forum :D

They've segregated the userbase. In other words they've decided now that firewire is not meant for the mass consumer purchasing the Alu MB. If you're into "most audio interfaces" you're not in that sweet spot, and they've made that calculated decision.

So what's there to kid? I'm simply outlining the facts on the ground.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
easy there, its just a tech forum :D
Haha, sorry :p

They've segregated the userbase. In other words they've decided now that firewire is not meant for the mass consumer purchasing the Alu MB. If you're into "most audio interfaces" you're not in that sweet spot, and they've made that calculated decision.
It's not about "most" it's about "a working" (audio) interface.

So what's there to kid? I'm simply outlining the facts on the ground.

Which facts?

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Definitely would buy one. I've got an iMac at home for all the heavy lifting. I just need something light, durable & inexpensive to offload pictures and do e-mail while on holidays or to cart around to work or school. If Apple doesn't come out with one soon I'll be purchasing the MSI Wind or Acer Aspire one before my next vacation.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
HAHA, its NOT going to happen I promise. Why? Because Apple prided themselves in NOT making one, but making an ultra-portable that did NOT sacrifice keyboard size, functionality, potential.

Not to mention all little laptops are USELESS!!!! The DELL mini 9 is rediculous and a waste of money... unless your just looking for an expensive small external hard drive with a screen.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
HAHA, its NOT going to happen I promise. Why? Because Apple prided themselves in NOT making one, but making an ultra-portable that did NOT sacrifice keyboard size, functionality, potential.

They did the same with the iPhone.

Not to mention all little laptops are USELESS!!!! The DELL mini 9 is rediculous and a waste of money... unless your just looking for an expensive small external hard drive with a screen.
You mean like the ipod Touch and iPhone – oh, wait, they don't even do "external hard drive" … ;)

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
They did the same with the iPhone.

You mean like the ipod Touch and iPhone – oh, wait, they don't even do "external hard drive" … ;)

the second part was kinda a joke.

You must not understand what the iPhone is.... its a PHONE, NOT a computer. Catagories are different.

iPhone = innovative phone, large and cool and capable of A LOT
macbook air = innovative laptop, thin and cool and does not sacrifice like netbooks would.

Oh, yeah. ALso, when I plug my iPhone into my computer I can go to the root of the phone and put stuff on it.. so yes I CAN use it as a drive.
I also did the same with my 5gen ipod

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
macbook air = innovative laptop, thin and cool and does not sacrifice like netbooks would.

Yet the air does sacrifice features...
It seems as though people like to defend the sacrifices made in order to produce the air, but if Apple were to copy another market then those sacrifices wouldnt be acceptable.

Alot of people here need to stop being fanboys and realize that its not the end of the world if apple makes a netbook, the Air is indeed missing some useful features, and a netbook would be nothing more than an Air with a smaller screen so you can throw it in a smaller bag.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yet the air does sacrifice features...
It seems as though people like to defend the sacrifices made in order to produce the air, but if Apple were to copy another market then those sacrifices wouldnt be acceptable.

Alot of people here need to stop being fanboys and realize that its not the end of the world if apple makes a netbook, the Air is indeed missing some useful features, and a netbook would be nothing more than an Air with a smaller screen so you can throw it in a smaller bag.

What features is it missing as a satellite computer? That is, after all, what it is.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
the second part was kinda a joke.

So was my second part. Sort of.

You must not understand what the iPhone is.... its a PHONE, NOT a computer. Catagories are different.
So they "priding themselves" of NOT entering a certain market should only be taken verbatim for certain categories? I see.

iPhone = innovative phone, large and cool and capable of A LOT
LOL, It's not at all "innovative". The only innovative about it is how they were able to market it as such. "Large" has somehow become a superlative for a phone? And really – "capable of A LOT"!? Surely you must be kidding. Have you no idea what the competitors are offering or are you comparing it to a 1998 GSM phone?

Again. There is absolutely nothing innovative about the MacBook Air. It's slim and it has tapered edges which forced them to forego most ports. That's certainly not "innovative".
What do you mean it does not sacrifice anything? It has a huge footprint and are rather heavy for something they themselves call "ultraportable". It has basically no ports, unlike most netbooks and compared to many netbooks it doesn't even have as good battery life as them. No sacrifices? Well, if you want a netbook (i.e. small, ultraportable, lightweight, good battery life), choosing the MBA is nothing BUT sacrifices.

What features is it missing as a satellite computer? That is, after all, what it is.

Besides my reply above, many netbooks has a place for a 3G simcard, two usb ports, ethernet port, expresscard slot and far from least: An SD card-slot. The latter two is quite useful in a "satellite computer" as you call it.

Edit/add: Come to think of it, I think I really prefer that term – "satellite computer" to "netbook". I mean, when I get a hold of a Lenovo S10 with a danish keyboard, it will act more as a satellite computer than as a "netbook", if that makes sense.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008

Satellite Computer:
A computer located remotely from the host computer or under the control of the host. It can function as a slave to the master computer or perform offline tasks

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Satellite Computer:
A computer located remotely from the host computer or under the control of the host. It can function as a slave to the master computer or perform offline tasks.

The latter is what makes me think he came up with a better term than "netbook". It's more than a portable browser. Anyway, it doesn't matter, the "genre" is called "netbook", even though they act as a satellite computer.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Satellite Computer:
A computer located remotely from the host computer or under the control of the host. It can function as a slave to the master computer or perform offline tasks

Ok so I got the term wrong.

But in essence that is what the air is. Its not MEANT to be the only computer you have (as evidenced by remote disc). I believe at the introduction keynote or the apple walkthrough its sold as the perfect companion for your home computers.

so....companion computer?

Either way, its not a netbook, its not a notebook, its in some sort of gray area.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
Lets agree to dissagree.

As for innovation, obviously you are NOT an engineer. As an electrical engineer that is still in school, I am impressed that apple has been able to pull that off. No other company has done quite that as far as I can see (besides IBM's copy though it was never released so I call bull)

Also, you REALLY have to understand that when they made the iphone, they made if for people that wanted a good PHONE. It would be dumb to make a computer on a phone, becuase its a little overdose for something that is spacifically made for PHONE/ipod use.

macbook air - Ok, so you claim its really heavy though its really not unless you litterally have NO muscle whatsoever, you can easily carry something like that for a LONG period of time.

iphone not innovative? So I guess the two-touch is nothing now? I don't see anyone else pulling something like that off.

I think you need to google/wiki the word "innovation"
Just because now everyone knows and is capable of making a wheel does not mean that way back when it was first descovered it was not innovative.

Obviously since many companies are copying apple's iphone and macbook air it goes to show how good they were.

edit - and obviously the macbook air can do more then just browse the web.. so yeah :p
basically netbooks are a HUGE niche market and not worth making.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Lets agree to dissagree.

As for innovation, obviously you are NOT an engineer. As an electrical engineer that is still in school, I am impressed that apple has been able to pull that off. No other company has done quite that as far as I can see (besides IBM's copy though it was never released so I call bull)

Okay then. Pull the education card. But instead, perhaps you should list the "innovative" parts? No, really.

Also, you REALLY have to understand that when they made the iphone, they made if for people that wanted a good PHONE.

So wait, they didn't make it to piggy back on the iPod succes and tap into a mature market in order to make money?
Seriously, the "good" part is funny. As mentioned, obviously you aren't aware of what is out there. It can't even copy/paste nor can it act like a harddrive, download from the one-and-only browser or anything.

It would be dumb to make a computer on a phone, becuase its a little overdose for something that is spacifically made for PHONE/ipod use.

Well, first we have to define "computer". Of course it can never be a "laptop", since one would never use it as such, but surely it already is a computer.

macbook air - Ok, so you claim its really heavy though its really not unless you litterally have NO muscle whatsoever, you can easily carry something like that for a LONG period of time.
I have enough "muscle" to carry around my 15" MBP. But I don't want to. Neither do I want to carry around a (-n imaginary) phone weighing in at 1kgs/two pounds. It's not that it wouldn't be possible – my point was that IN COMPARISON with netbooks, the MBA IS heavy, like it or not.

iphone not innovative? So I guess the two-touch is nothing now? I don't see anyone else pulling something like that off.
It's a change for sure, but I'm really not sure "change" constitutes "innovation". Strictly speaking it is, but "innovative" is a superlative and it has connotations of "useful". I really don't see it as anything but a design feature that unfortunately dictated the entire OS.

I think you need to google/wiki the word "innovation"
Just because now everyone knows and is capable of making a wheel does not mean that way back when it was first descovered it was not innovative.
Are you seriously trying to pretend that Apple invented and built the smartphone market?
They may look pretty, and have _some_ features not available on most other smartphones, but they are lacking behind with that thing in so many areas it's unbelievable.

Obviously since many companies are copying apple's iphone and macbook air it goes to show how good they were.
It's "design". It shows how good their design and marketing is and how most people buy by looks alone.

edit - and obviously the macbook air can do more then just browse the web.. so yeah :p
Yes yes, that was my point. I really do like the term "satellite computer" much better. It wasn't sarcasm.
basically netbooks are a HUGE niche market and not worth making.
Well, so were smartphones at one time and Apple used more or less the same wording to argue not to enter that market. The thing is, they will enter a market if they deem the risk worth it AND it's a mature market (which, btw, it isn't right now).

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Ok so I got the term wrong.

But in essence that is what the air is. Its not MEANT to be the only computer you have (as evidenced by remote disc). I believe at the introduction keynote or the apple walkthrough its sold as the perfect companion for your home computers.

so....companion computer?

Either way, its not a netbook, its not a notebook, its in some sort of gray area.

I said exactly this on the previous page. The Air is not a substitute for a netbook, whatever the apple zealots may say. People keep saying that the Air has all the features of a full-featured laptop yet they also say its the same as a netbook.

The Air cant be classified because its just a macbook with less features, a slightly thinner body, and a huge price tag. This is why people want a fuggen netbook. People want something that is small. SMALL! Not thin. The Air has a bigger footprint than the macbook, look up the specs on their website, and costs alot of money even for an apple product. People want a netbook so they can have a cheap, low-powered, tiny computer to take with them. THE AIR IS NOT THIS.

The biggest problem with the air is that it really doesnt take up less space, its just really light. So what if it can fit in an envelope, theres a vid of a black macbook doing the same thing. People dont want a thin lappy, they want one with a tiny footprint. When i look to buy a laptop i dont think "oh, well this one is 1.1" thick and this one is 1.3" thick," i think "this one is 15.4" and the other is 17", which one would fit in my bag more easily?"
This is why people want a netbook.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
people are still buying plenty of airs tho.

I dont think of it as a netbook, and I dont think its even in the same market.

No one wanting a netbook is seriously considering an air.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
people are still buying plenty of airs tho.
Yup. Just like people are buying plenty of netbooks. But I really can't see what's the point in arguing that people are actally buying a certain product?

I dont think of it as a netbook, and I dont think its even in the same market.
I agree :eek: The netbooks is supposed to be at least a step down, yet the MBA trails behind in more than one way.

No one wanting a netbook is seriously considering an air.
Says who? I don't, but it's not hard to imagine someone pondering which lightweight computer to get, including MBAs, Thinkpad X-series, Sony Vaios, and, of course, netbooks, listing pros and cons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.