Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay?

• Nothing. I want it for free.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • $20

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • $50

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • $100

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • The same price as Windows 10 Professional Edition

Votes: 21 21.4%

• Total voters

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Even though this discussion is based on an hypothesis, in reality El Cap is much slower than the promise and hype. I don't think anyone in heir right mind would install it on a PC. Apple has a long way to go because whatever El Cap can do Windows 10 can do equally as good or much better. Until Apple fixes this issue I'm finally going to use Windows for work and not just leisure time.

While Metal is not going to magically speed up every aspect of El Capitan, in some areas its quite an improvement. Adobe even mentioned Metal speeded up After Effects X8 faster.

Keep in mind applications still need to be changed to take advantage of Metal performance increase. So I don't know if your testing will be that accurate until that happens.

Here's another thought : Metal on the desktop isn't actually intended for our AMD/Nvidia GPUs but instead it's really to prepare developers for gradual transition to desktop iOS-ARM.

It could be its run off from porting Metal to the desktop from iOS (Just like AV-Foundation was ) While it could happen, I doubt so on the Mac Pro platform as it needs much more powerful components then ARM currently provides. Perhaps low powered Laptops perhaps.

Last edited:

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
While Metal is not going to magically speed up every aspect of El Capitan, in some areas its quite an improvement. Adobe even mentioned Metal speeded up After Effects X8 faster.

I don't think we need Metal to speed up this slow Finder performance with large files. It's clearly just not optimised if it can't even generate thumbnails in a folder after two days even when Windows can do it in a few seconds. It was bad in Yosemite too but with all the promises of optimisations this makes El Cap look really bad for now. I remember how people were dying for a Cocoa Finder for years and when they finally got it it has become slower and slower with each upgrade at certain things that it should be doing easily by now.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Apple doesn't believe in choice, therefor they will never give consumers the ability to install OS X on a computer with off the shelf parts.

Reactions: riviera74

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Windows and Linux are not Apple's other two creations to give you choice. It's either their way, or the high way.

Apple gives you 11 different models with many configuration options for each. Apple give you choices, but just not your choice. You don't own their operating system so you can't decide how you use it. Linux and Windows have similar restrictions based on their terms of service.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Apple gives you 11 different models with many configuration options for each. Apple give you choices, but just not your choice. You don't own their operating system so you can't decide how you use it.

Compared to about 1 million different options in the regular PC world, 11 is pretty pathetic. Doesn't matter how you slice it or how hard you try to play apologist for apple.... apple's 'options' are in fact, VERY limited.

Linux and Windows have similar restrictions based on their terms of service.

No, they don't. If they did, Apple would let you install on any system of your choice, LOL. Sorry man, Apple fails HARD in this department.

Vladiciu

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
verona italy
[QUOTE = "bladerunner2000, posta: 21.843.708, membro: 969.511"] Rispetto a circa 1 milione di diverse opzioni nel mondo normale PC, 11 è abbastanza patetico. Non importa come la tagli o quanto duramente si tenta di riprodurre apologeta mela .... "opzioni" di Apple sono in realtà, molto limitata.

No, non è così. Se lo facessero, Apple avrebbe permesso di installare su qualsiasi sistema di tua scelta, LOL. Uomo Spiacenti, Apple non riesce DURO in questo reparto. [/ QUOTE]

but sorry, maybe it will become legal to install OSX on Apple PC?
then the hackintosh will be no more legal and illegal?
thank you.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Compared to about 1 million different options in the regular PC world, 11 is pretty pathetic. Doesn't matter how you slice it or how hard you try to play apologist for apple.... apple's 'options' are in fact, VERY limited.

No, they don't. If they did, Apple would let you install on any system of your choice, LOL. Sorry man, Apple fails HARD in this department.

Bwahaha...I've had much more problems with Microsoft then any of them. I do incremental upgrades over the years on my sons computer. Seems I'm always calling Microsoft. Just because I upgrade a computer Microsoft thinks I'm installing it on a new one. Invasive anti-pirating platform.

Now their pushing windows 10 on window 7-8 users. They secretly download the windows 10 installer without your asking with marketing and nag screens, taking up your hard drive space.

Windows allows you to install it on any computer, but now is trying to install things without your permission, regardless of your privacy settings.

Apple is for protecting users data, Windows constantly contacts Microsoft sending your data.

You just think Microsoft gives you freedom and choice, when they actually give you less then you think.

Reactions: throAU

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
I would pay whatever is necessary to have it but...
Even if it's desirable to many people to have OS X for PCs, I 'm afraid that this would be the end of OS X as we know it.
OS X is running better on Apple's systems and this is natural, dealing with any hardware a pc user installs and its, as frequently happens, lower quality drivers will obviously make OS X at some point a windows clone with a million problems. Not even to mention malware etc.
Imho if this ever happens, OS X will soon loose its shine...

Reactions: linuxcooldude

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I would pay whatever is necessary to have it but...
Even if it's desirable to many people to have OS X for PCs, I 'm afraid that this would be the end of OS X as we know it.
OS X is running better on Apple's systems and this is natural, dealing with any hardware a pc user installs and its, as frequently happens, lower quality drivers will obviously make OS X at some point a windows clone with a million problems. Not even to mention malware etc.
Imho if this ever happens, OS X will soon loose its shine...

I really think Apple does not want to go this route. Thousands of drivers to deal with thousands of possible hardware configurations. Tech support nightmare. But some people think they are privileged and demand Apple go the Microsoft route to install it on PC hardware.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Apple will never do it.

They are an intergration company. Single source is the entire point.

And yes, third party garbage drivers is a big reason Macs have less issues than Windows. If you pick your hardware very carefully (NOT for spec - for software/driver support) and pick your drivers very carefully, Windows can be relatively hassle free as well.

Plug in bargain basement crap hardware with garbage driver support and Windows gets a lot more flakey.

Because apple only have limited combinations of hardware they supply they can be a lot more rigorous with their driver compatibility testing - and make sure that things like wake from sleep actually work properly.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Count how many software and hardware products Apple and Microsoft sell. You should forget this early 90s idea that one is a software company and one is hardware company.

Microsoft's hardware offerings are just the tiny tip of the iceberg that is Microsoft's near-monopoly in personal computer OS, communication and office software. That monopoly may date back to the 80s and 90s but its still here - although its been nibbled around the edges in recent decades - isn't going to disappear any time soon.

Remember, despite some of the revisionist history floating around, MS didn't get their monopoly just by selling OS software for generic PCs - they produced the OS for the IBM PC while it was a proprietary system. The IBM PC had already developed a stranglehold on the corporate market (because "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM") when some bright spark legally cloned the IBM firmware. When the clones arrived (still running Microsoft software, but shafting IBM) they took off because vast numbers of personal and small business users already wanted an IBM PC.

Apple can't re-create MS's business model, even today, because they don't have the IBM of old to play fox-and-scorpion with.

Rukiri

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
The reason most people here like OS X is because it's designed for specific hardware, so doesn't have a world of issues with drivers and things like that. If Apple were to release OS X on third-party computers, it would have to be for bespoke hardware otherwise it'll just have the same issues we hate on Windows. And releasing on bespoke hardware would basically mean hardware licensing agreements like they had in the '90s. I'm not talking about Hackintosh computers of course, because that has the same problem and you still can't install it on any old hardware.

So if you add an option for 'I don't want to see OS X on anything other than a Mac', that'll get my vote.
Apple could easily release OS X for PCs and yosemitie was pretty easy to install on PCs with little to no issues.
But, Apple could still release it's own machines like it has been doing for decades which have 100% compatibility but could release the same version and should remove whatever block they have to install on any intel setup and just have a warning "You're installing OS X on a none Apple Computer, compatibility may not be 100%". This easily would stop the hackintosh scene as OS X is now able to be installed on any PCs with just booting into the ISO directly.

As for actual compatibility I can wager that all new Nvidia GPUs are compatibile as I've read success on 970s, 980s, 980tis, Titan-Xs, etc. As for AMD GPU drivers I'd wager they're also compatibile as well...

Apple coulde easily say you need this, this, and this type of hardware for best compatibility and people will buy it like crazy!

This would open a lot of doors for people, for gaming Windows is still going to own the market for some time but since OS X is a major consumer and pro OS I'd wager they'd be pretty even within a few years up to 5 years. This also brings back the old style Mac Pros "what were they thinking with the new design? yes Thunderbolt 3 if that's what they use will leverage whatever GPU you want to use, but you're still limited on hard drives, and cpus...

I'd also like to overclock my machines, I have my current windows machine overclocked to 4.8GHZ and that's on a 3820 i7! Can't wait to see what my 5960x is capable of, probably won't hit 4.8 but might get to 4.5 to 4.6ghz.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Bwahaha...I've had much more problems with Microsoft then any of them. I do incremental upgrades over the years on my sons computer. Seems I'm always calling Microsoft. Just because I upgrade a computer Microsoft thinks I'm installing it on a new one. Invasive anti-pirating platform.

Now their pushing windows 10 on window 7-8 users. They secretly download the windows 10 installer without your asking with marketing and nag screens, taking up your hard drive space.

Windows allows you to install it on any computer, but now is trying to install things without your permission, regardless of your privacy settings.

Apple is for protecting users data, Windows constantly contacts Microsoft sending your data.

You just think Microsoft gives you freedom and choice, when they actually give you less then you think.

You're deflecting now. This isn't about problems or whatever conspiracy theory you believe in, this is about OPTIONS. Stay on topic.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
The reason most people here like OS X is because it's designed for specific hardware, so doesn't have a world of issues with drivers and things like that.

Nope. Not me. I've got a hackintosh with windows on it as well. The hardware reliability is just fine.

The real reason why people like OS X is because its reliable SOFTWARE. This isn't a hardware issue.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Nope. Not me. I've got a hackintosh with windows on it as well. The hardware reliability is just fine.

The real reason why people like OS X is because its reliable SOFTWARE. This isn't a hardware issue.
I don't think so. The NT-based Windows systems have been at least as reliable as their peer Apple OSX and Linux systems. I have busy Windows Server 2008 R2 (Win7 Server) systems with over a year of uptime (a quick look found one web/file server that's been up for 16 months - because 16 months ago we added some RAM).

If a Win7 system has to reboot it's probably because every few months a Windows update needs to restart (and sometimes I ignore those messages for weeks), or because a hardware upgrade or systems move requires that the power cord be pulled.

The people who like OSX like it for workflow and the apps. Perfectly valid reasons to prefer an OS. Don't destroy your own credibility by implying that other operating systems aren't reliable.

Reactions: filmak

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Unti

Until you update the software that could break it.

thestickman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Don't think this will ever happen. But if Apple released a list of hardware certified to run OSX I think it could work for them and consumers. Till then, will keep using my 2008 3,1 till I can't.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Its really easy to put Yosemite on a PC... And its free...

And it doesn't work as hassle free as on a Mac.

Mine is ideal hardware according to tonymac: Gigabyte H87 board, gtx760, and the following problems i have encountered:

Audio doesn't work properly after wake from sleep
Shut down - it shuts down then powers back up after a second or two.

This sort of weird stuff is exactly what you don't get (or rather, what you're not supposed to get, and can take up with Apple) with a real mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.