If Apple says battery is good, can I still pay them to put a new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snarestud940, Jan 7, 2014.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

Little pissed because my iphone 5 battery has been draining quickly under 50 percent. Usually ok until 50 but after that I notice it drops from 54 to 38 in 2 or 3 seconds. Then down to 3. Shuts off. They turns on at 24. Weird.

Anyway I did an iBackupbot and saw it had a full charge capacity of 1200 with only 182 cycles. That seemed low to me?

I made an appointment for the Genius Bar at 1020 tomorrow morning. What I'm asking is, does apple replace the battery in the store? Or do they just give u a new phone? It is still under warranty and I also have AppleCare plus.

Also, if they hook up the battery and say that it is fine and I can't get it for free under warranty, can I still pay them $79 to put a new one in? Or will they not do that unless the battery needs replacing?

Sorry for all the questions. Really angry about this. Phone was purchased on April 10th.

2. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

They just give you a new phone.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

1200ma/h after *only* 182 cycles seems low indeed. Apple will decide whether that warrants a replacement. But of course if you insist to change battery anyway, it's YOUR money, they shouldn't care.

I assume u already gone through all the troubleshooting.

4. paul.p macrumors member

paul.p

You mentioned you have applecare+...if your willing to spend $79(just for a new battery) then you can just get a new phone, no?

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is this accidental damage? Nope.

If Apples agrees there is a battery/hardware problem then they will do whatever free.

6. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to the Apple Store this morning, and pretty much fought with the girl after she said that my battery was near 100%. She said that it may be because some of my notifications are constantly going off.

I went to see the manager, and he replaced my phone under the warranty. He said that it will be a new phone, not a refurbished phone!

I'm restarting my phone from back up right now. It says I have zero cycle counts, and a full charge capacity of 1385. I assume that will go up once I use the phone?

7. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

If Apple says battery is good, can I still pay them to put a new one?

Don't think the full charge capacity will increase by much, good that they replaced the phone for you. It will be a refurb/white box phone rather than a new sealed box I'm sure.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

1200 mAh is above 84-85 %, so the battery is in a good shape and they aren't going to replace it for free.
    But of course he can wastes his money with a new battery.

----------

You were lucky ....

Your new battery could improve slightly after 10-20 cycles, and could not improve.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Well I hope it makes a difference, else you will have to play tech analyst.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't think they will tell you to take your money some where else.

11. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

they give you a new phone (possibly refurbished).and they will do it if you ask (even if they say the battery is fine)- most likely if the battery were fine (even though it sounds like it isn't) they would recommend you do something such as charge it overnight then completely drain it and recharge it completely. Just tell them the story and they will understand and your problem isn't that uncommon similar sure u can work it out...

12. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I asked the girl. I said it was a refurb correct? She said no. That in the state of Connecticut, it is a law that they mark refurbs. This was not marked.

13. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

Maybe, but if it's not a sealed box it's more than likely a white box/refurb regardless what they said. In reality, you'd never know either way. How's it performing so far?

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's for selling, not warranty replacements.

15. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha it's true u will never know.

It's great so far. Just used it yesterday from 98 % to about 31%.

Didn't have the problem my old phone did. So it my opinion, it was clearly the battery. Full charge capacity in this phone is 1341. I assume that is standard when the cycle count is 1?

16. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The mAh rating is highly variable and there are many factors that can cause it to change. Honestly, if your battery life is good, don't worry about it.

17. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

But has it been cold in your area these past few weeks?

18. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very. We're lucky if it hit 20 the past week.

19. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Yeah, this is more likely the problem. Yes, your old phone battery was slightly degraded. But when exposed to the same cold conditions, your repalcement phone will still get shorter battery life.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think your old iPhone just needed proper battery calibration.

If they said it was near 100% in health then the problem is going to be calibration, apps or environment like cold ;)

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

On a iPhone 5 ? The designed maximum capacity is 1440 ... Btw not all the brand new batteries can reach that value, so 1341 could be an acceptable value (considering that iBackupBot reading isn't that accurate itself).

22. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just had 8 cycles. Now went up to a full charge capacity of 1416.