If Apple want to be a market killer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zOdeac, Jun 6, 2011.

1. zOdeac macrumors member

They should give us unlocked phones. We see Rumors of the iPhone on all US carrier then it would be the best thing ever for them to unlock all the iPhone 5 by default. This would make it so most people can swap from company to company and it would stop lots of people like me from having to jailbreak.

The only reason i do it is to unlock my phone but it gives me the option to pirate applications even more.

If they announced that i would hit the buy now button on 3 phones one for each person in the house. Now i know it will never happen but even if i had to pay extra to Apple to get the unlock it would make them money and save me time from getting another unlocked phone from another company.

It would be nice but i know it probably will never happen.

Just think about it I will be going to Canada to buy my next iPhone or have a friend fly form the Philippines to Hong Kong to pick up a phone. This will cost me about $200 any way i look at it. If they charged me say an extra $100 for an unlocked version i would pay.

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

3. zOdeac thread starter macrumors member

Yes i now another one of them but i strongly think its true that just an unlock will help them.

4. andrewsd macrumors 6502

Amazing what people will do for a phone........:rolleyes:

I do see your point though a little bit even if it is just a wee bit.

And this is from someone that would benefit from an unlocked iPhone. Thats why I just unlocked mine myself!

5. seajay96 macrumors 6502

First, Apple doesn't really need help, they are doing pretty well on their own :)

Second, it's not Apple...they've been constrained by carrier contracts in the US since the iPhone 1 was released

And, third, STOP PIRATING APPS!!!!

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What about those of us that like the whole Ultrasn0w game? :D

This coming from a guy that can buy an iPhone unlocked by going to an Apple store.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

While I'd appreciate it if Apple offered unlocked phones as an option, US phone buyers like their subsidized, locked phones.
    Don't use your locked phone to justify pirating apps. My phone is JB and unlocked and I don't pirate app store or cydia apps. :rolleyes:

8. zOdeac thread starter macrumors member

Yes they do need more help just read this forum how many are moving to android because they want to. It would bring them more support by having people like my self that has done Android and them move back to apple easier.

T-Mobile will unlock any phone after 30 days of having it so why wont the other complains. Apple can set the standard on this and if T-Mobile can unlock any phone for you then its not a carrier thing its a phone thing to. Apple is one of the leaders i agree but. . .

I never said I did pirating I was told about it by others. Everything on my phone is paid for even my music the thing is it would be better for them to unlock so i wont have this option.

Locks are on doors to keep the honest person honest. I do develop have iPhone apps developed so i for one also know this applications are out there and it would hep me make more money as well.

The fact is many people unlock there phones and then find out about all this other items if they did not have to jailbreak then unlock to switch from one carrier to another then they probably would not see all them hacks.

9. seajay96 macrumors 6502

No hard data to back it up, but I'm guessing that even if every single registered MacRumors member switched to Android, iPhone market share would probably only drop a couple of percent...

Apple doesn't set the policies on whether a phone stays locked or not, that's the carrier. Just ask anyone in Canada, UK, Europe, etc...if it would benefit Apple to sell unlocked phones in the US and they were legally allowed to do so, they wouldn't hesitate.

Btw, even in Europe, carriers tend to extend their locked period on the iPhone out to 6 months in order to recoup the money that they lose in subsidizing the cost to buy the phone. These subsidy costs are pretty significant for the iPhone.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Theoretically speaking if Apple did this they would kill the competition whilst mameing the cell carriers partially in the process.