If AT&T Buys T-Mobile...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MallCop, Oct 10, 2011.

1. MallCop macrumors 6502

and you signed up for a contract on T-Mobile you would be able to keep your unlimited data and low cost plan and have an iPhone and AT&T service. Does this sound right?

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

They would most likely grandfather you into T-Mobs old plans. And then once you wanted to upgrade, you would have to switch to an AT&T plan.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You may want to think about buying future iPhones outright when something like this happen, as long as you keep that up instead of letting AT&T subsidize it, you will be able to hang onto old plans :). I know people who are still on Cingular plans because they bought new phones outright.

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Well, at some point you would be forced to buy a new phone. T-Mobile's phones don't work on AT&T's 3G network, and AT&T plans to shut down T-Mobile's network in order to turn it into an LTE network.

5. utl768 macrumors 6502

6. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

The people that you know that are still with Cingular wasted their money. You can buy a subsidized phone and not renew the contract after the 2 years, that's how you can keep an old plan.

7. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Hopefully they fire that dumb ass brunette in the red dress. Annoying much!!!

8. chuffman15 macrumors regular

2 things about the answer.
    1. the guy above said if right. merger with att? not gonna happen. more like a merger of tmobile and sprint( which the govt said they would ok)
    2. att(if they were smart) would have to honor your existing contract with tmobile. if you were to get a new phone, you would have to go to one of att's plans. (if they were dumb) att would make everyone change immediately to a att plan which would then let everyone out of their tmobile contracts. giving them the chance to go somewheres else.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I hope that you are right, but, if not, I will switch to Sprint.

10. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The FCC did approve of the AT&T/T-Mobile USA merge. The DOJ just got in the way to get a deal going that will benefit them as well. And Sprint could not afford T-Mobile, not even close.

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Uh, me and my roommate are still on a Cingular plan because they grandfathered us in every time. We have never bought the new phones outright and we've always upgraded after our contract ran out.

12. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

13. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

I really don't see what the problem is with at&t buying t-mobile I mean there will be less competition but t-mobile and sprint are cheaper by far but yet the majority still use at&t and verizon. If it is approved I give it a week until verizon announces their intentions to buy sprint.

14. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

If the U.S government sticks to the constitution and operate for the interests of the general population, this deal is dead.

If this deal goes through,....demise of America starts

15. outz macrumors 6502

overreact much?

16. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Who knew that the coercive acts would cause the colonies to separate from England.......not overreacting, any plausible bad situation that occurs could be one factor that causes a chain reaction.

17. macinnv macrumors regular

I believe the deal will go through but ATT will have to divest assets to competitors to avoid antitrust. If the merger falls through, Sprint won't have the ability to purchase T-Mobile. They will be bogged down by reduced margins with carrying the iPhone and the buildout of LTE. I would guess a cable company such as Dish Network or consortium of cable companies would buy T-Mobile assets if the deal fell through.

18. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Even though it is unlikely I can see Apple purchasing T-Mobile and creating iService for your iDevices. They control the phone and its data. You could then buy an iPhone and only pay $25 a month for data because say you don't need the phone or can get by with google voice or FaceTime. iMessage would take care of 75% of you texting and for the other 25% a cheap $5 texting plan. Have an iPad and iPhone? Share your data connection across both devices. I know its out there but not impossible. Sprint is also likely. If this did happen it would mean pretty much death for all small cell providers.

19. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

T-Mobile and Sprint with all of the white does seem like more of an "Apple carrier" than orange AT&T or red Verizon.

20. macinnv macrumors regular

I sort of could see Apple becoming a carrier, however it would be unorthodox event for them. They like to control the user experience from beginning to end and this would definitely do that. Not sure if they would start w T-Mobile or Sprint. Both carriers arent the type of quality Apple is looking for. Verizon and ATT are too big to be bought so doesn't seem plausible.

21. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Sprint and T-Mobile operate on two different technologies. It would make ZERO sense for them to merge and would most likely cause financial problems converting CDMA, GSM, and WiMax tech into one.

NO.

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

it ATT is not allowed to buy TMobile, then TMobile will go out of business in a few years, creating the same issue the people who are against this merger are trying to stop...except ATT has no spectrum to expand, leaving Verizon the most powerful company by far, because they will be the only ones able to expand in the future

23. Pooshka macrumors 65816

How are you so sure?

24. Gamoe macrumors regular

Can you back this up? Last I hear T-Mobile was still profitable.