If AT&T can't tell we are tethering...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tylertech, Jul 5, 2009.

1. tylertech macrumors regular

Then how will they be able to setup tethering plans? They have to be able to tell somehow?

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well unless there are massive Data usages numbers comng from your phone they probably can't

Buy this is probably going to get blocked with the next carrier update or iPhone update.

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I think adding the plan just gives you an extra 5GB a month allowance. So if you stay within the 5GB 'unlimited plan' i cant see how they will ever tell :)

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    In theory, they could set up automatic monitoring of the data packets, to look for non-iPhone user agents and other hints.

I know that carriers have at least experimented with doing this.

As others have said, it probably will come down to how much data everyone uses.

Although not quite the same scenario, ATT has previously switched iPhone users who were trying to get by with just the MediaNet data plan.

5. brian4610 macrumors regular

I don't know if it's the same, but i was with sprint for years, and found a work around to adding a tethering feature to my plan, and just changed some settings on my phone for it to work (similar to what some have done on their iphone). I used it for 4 years with light to medium use (i did slingbox a few times for an extended period of time) and never a word from sprint.

if there are 40 million iphones, i don't see how they would be able to accurately monitor usage. If it takes them 6 months to enter a simple code so that MMS can be active, imagine how long this would take to go find so called tethering cheaters!

6. scottuf macrumors 6502

a few years back they had both wap.cingular and isp.cingular (or something like that) with wap for phone data and isp for tethering. they could be moving to setting something like that up again where the wap.cingular apn won't work for thethering (at least in the carrier files they'll provide)

7. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i thought the iphone had an unlimited data plan. how could they track the diff between the mobile safari usage and tethered stuff?:cool:

8. noobinator macrumors 601

I don't think you can download 5 gb torrents too easily through safari.

9. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

You could leave pandora on all night for a week...

10. tylertech thread starter macrumors regular

I find it hard to go over 5GB when tethering, since I mostly only tether on vacation, but if it'd be kind of hard if they did give a carrier update that disabled tethering but enabled mms, but I don't see how they can track it's usage.