If bought from Amazon...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by delude, Oct 17, 2008.

1. delude macrumors 6502

And something on the new aluminium MacBook needed to be looked at or fixed, would taking it to the Apple store be the right thing to do? I would guess so, but would love somebody to confirm it for me. Surely it wouldn't matter where it was bought, just as long as when they ran a search they could see it was still under warranty, right? (Come to think of it, how do they know when the warranty starts if you buy it from Amazon?)

Thanks very much in advance, and I apologize for the probably quite newbor questions.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yes, you take it to the Apple Store.

If the defect was something in it when you received it (i.e. DOA), you would call Amazon.

3. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

sorry to hijack your thread...but...if you are trying to get people to request firewire for the macbook, then going out and buying one yourself...you're not exactly convincing apple that they need to put it back by making the purchase...

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

IS there any reason not to buy from MacMall or MacConnection?

I save on tax and shipping AND get it cheaper than what Amazon will sell it to me for

6. darcytu macrumors newbie

I found some good prices (with hd and ram upgrades already installed) on a site called Expercom. I have never heard of that site before (linked from Dealmac). Has anyone here ever bought from them? That tax at the Apple Store really adds to the price, but I want to be ok if I have any issues.

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

He's demonstrating why Apple took the risk and removed Firewire. They might complain on the forums and to friends but in the end, they're going to buy. They're either gonna suck it up and live without firewire or pony up the extra cash for the MBP. A win-win for Apple.

Apple fans love the company too much to return to Windows.

(I don't blame them, LOL)

8. acrafton macrumors 6502

Apple store does not care where you bought it as long as it is under warranty. I have had TWO repaired and then totally replaced with a new machine and neither was bought directly from apple:

1. 17" Macbook Pro bought from some guy in NYC via ebay. It was new and after a few weeks, the drive went and then the system board. They just gave me a new one on the spot in the apple store.
    2. 15" Macbook Pro bought from Amazon. They repaired a few things with the optical drive and then finally just gave me a new one.

In both cases they did not even ask where I bought it.

Adam

9. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

Erm, I am no apple fan. I have only ever owned an iPod nano and an iPod touch. Yes, I think they are completely retarded to think that removing FireWire was a good option, especially when Apple employees have also agreed.
    However, if it is £250 more to buy a Macbook pro with firewire, or half that price to buy a new camcorder which will be fine for me then in my case I can save by doing the latter.
    The link is in my sig as I feel for all of the people that are dedicated to music or video editing and spent out on top notch hardware that requires FireWire.

Is there a problem with trying to support others?

Thanks to everybody else for their on-topic replies, especially Adam,your post was a great help :)