If buying a Refurbished iMac how much would Apple charge to replace HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bt22, Aug 20, 2010.

1. bt22 macrumors 6502

I currently have a Window's desktop that I am wanting to replace with a Mac. I have been trying to decide if I want an iMac or Mac Mini or Mac Pro. I wish that Apple made a more affordable Desktop computer that was more easily upgradeable like the Mac Pro. My computing needs are minimal at best. So absolutely no need for a Mac Pro, but I have about a 1TB media collection. My thought was that a C2D iMac 21.5 would suit my needs. Obviously a refurb would save me some money. So I thought I could either get the base model iMac or the 1 TB version depending on what is available. Going refurb obviously I can't build to order and would like to replace the hard drive with a 2 TB. My questions is if anyone knows how much Apple would charge to swap out the HDD for a 2 TB HDD so I can have my media and room for expansion, without having to rely on external hard drives. I prefer to use external for my Time Machine backups. Has anyone used Apple for this type upgrade..?

Thanks,

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your media collection is just fine in an external HD. I have all my movies etc in externals

3. numeeja macrumors newbie

Not sure why you don't want to use an externals. You can have more than one connected. I use three externals - one for my iTunes library, one for time machine & one for archived stuff from my old PC that I probably don't really need any more, but might come in handy one day if I ever get around to tidying it up

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you must have the larger internal HDD, its ~$150 USD to install it into an iMac at the apple store...

I'd go with external so if you have a problem with your iMac and send it in for repair they don't have access to all your data...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And that's install only, a 2TB drive is another 150 bucks

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...way the OP originally asked, I figured he already had the additional HDD?...

7. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replys. My desire for a single internal was for aesthetic purposes only. I didn't want multiple externals and all the cables. My thoughts were to get the large internal and 1 external like a G-Tech Drive that usese Apple's design features for time machine backups. I will give my idea more thought.

Thanks

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Thanks for all the replys. My desire for a single internal was for aesthetic purposes only. I didn't want multiple externals and all the cables. My thoughts were to get the large internal and 1 external like a G-Tech Drive that usese Apple's design features for time machine backups. I will give my idea more thought."

Here is an enclosure that will solve your problems:
    http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/RS-M2QO.html

- holds _2_ drives
    - USB2 _and_ firewire 800/400
    - drives are easily exchangeable (see "handles")
    - comes with enough handles for FOUR drives
    - can be set up for JBOD as well as RAID with a simple switch on the back (JBOD = "just bunch of drives", each one will behave as a separate volume).

It's not a "cheapo" enclosure, but a good one that will give excellent service.

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I replaced my imac hard drive. Fairly easy. The thought of it is more scary than the actual process because of the nice outside and form factor.

But the glass screen comes off super easy with 2 suction cups. ON my 1 1/2 old iMac part of the frame and the lcd panel each then come out after taking out some screws. There's a few wires to disconnect before you pull stuff out.

You can find full color picture guides with Google.

I replaced mine for the same reason - aesthetics. I didn't want to buy a nice all in one and then have a handful of hard drives attached. Also I move mine once in awhile. And wanted everything to come with.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

There's a shelf thingy..... sorry, don't have the link handy but someone here should be able to remember what it is called ... that clips to the support arm on the back of the monitor. You can put really cheap external there, and never have to look at it. It's a work around, but a cheap one.

Or connect a HD to your router, and hide both of them. You'll need an ethernet connector on the HD, or a USB port on the router. The Airport Base Station is one router that supports a USB attached HD.

11. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes the shelf is by Twelve South... Very nice. I have their stand for my iPad.
    http://twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/

I also use the usb on my Airport Extreme for wireless Time Machine backups of my MacBook Pro. Love that feature....

I certainly have a lot to think about. I just wish Apple made a computer like the Mac Pro that was more affordable.