If DEP configuration is not applied at macOS install; will that it affect the MacBook later?

MikeOrlando02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
bought a used MacBook Pro on eBay, unfortunately it still has DEP from its original owner that tries to configure the OS at install. If I bypass installing that configuration at the time macOS is installed, will that affect me at all down the road? Nag notifications, OS upgrades, remote wipe, etc? Currently, it works GREAT after doing so and there is no indication there it is enrolled in DEP.

When I run the terminal commands it doesn't appear to have the DEP enforced and I only see this when I first installed MacOS. I don't want my MacBook wiped, locked, or otherwise affected once I start using it.

I did attempt to reach out to the original owner by email, phone, and facebook; however they do not respond.

IMG_1687.jpg

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
bought a used MacBook Pro on eBay, unfortunately it still has DEP from its original owner that tries to configure the OS at install. If I bypass installing that configuration at the time macOS is installed, will that affect me at all down the road? Nag notifications, OS upgrades, remote wipe, etc? Currently, it works GREAT after doing so and there is no indication there it is enrolled in DEP.

When I run the terminal commands it doesn't appear to have the DEP enforced and I only see this when I first installed MacOS. I don't want my MacBook wiped, locked, or otherwise affected once I start using it.

I did attempt to reach out to the original owner by email, phone, and facebook; however they do not respond.

View attachment 867962
You do realize this is very likely a stolen computer, don't you? Your best option is to return it.

MikeOrlando02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
That was an initial concern of mine and that is why I attempted to reach out to the original corporate owner via email, telephone, and facebook over the past few weeks. Their lack of response to my multiple attempts to contact them leads me to believe their are not concerned about it.

It was purchased on eBay from a well-know/rated refurbisher/e-waster recycle company so I do not believe it was stolen, especially after reaching out to the original owner. I feel the company just didn't remove it from the DEP and the re-seller didn't ensure it was removed before selling it.

I was hoping the original owner would simply remove it from their DEP list, but unfortunately they do not respond.

Last edited: