If Developers were to put bigger games on the App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by DHarrisDBS34, Jun 11, 2009.

1. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

I was just curious about this. How much space does a full length game on a DS or PSP take up? The iPhone and iPod Touch have the power to run those types of games, they would just have to run the game completely off internal memories, unlike the DS or PSP which have cartridges or disks of some kind. I was thinking about this because it seems like Apple wants to compete in that industry, and their device needs to hold the games.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The new PSP GO does not have a UMD drive or a cartridge slot. It does have 16GB of flash which is enough for a few games...

3. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I doubt we will see 'full' games in the app store anytime soon. The market doesn't want to pay more then 99¢ for anything. So developing a full platform quality game and selling at $9.99+ will likely take months to pay itself off from development costs. Even at EA it probably takes a month or two to recoup cost of development on their games. Until the App Store market stop crying for more game for less coin, the big game companies will be reluctant to bring new, console (even portable) quality games to the device.

4. DHarrisDBS34 thread starter macrumors regular

I think if Apple were to market it that way, and tell everyone "Hey, we have these greats games like these other platforms at a fraction of the price. You don't even have to go to the store to buy them."

People would buy them I think. I'd pay more money for a quality game.

5. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Hey Jeremy,

When I think about my Sims purchases over the years (for the PC), I've probably paid $100, when you count all the add-on packs. If someone told me up front, it would cost $100, I might not have purchased the original starter game. I would expect EA and other top tier vendors to offer lower priced apps ($4.99 - $9.99) but use add-ons to recoup more revenue.

6. DHarrisDBS34 thread starter macrumors regular

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10263483-233.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

This is everything I was trying to say. On a lot of fronts which is kind of funny. It's like this guy was following me..