If external drive is setup for time machine - can a windows PC read it to trade files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doobybiggs, Jul 27, 2012.

1. doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

Here is what I am trying to do.

I have my external set for time machine backup. I have about 1.5TB of data on my HTPC windows drive I would like to back up on the external drive.

How would I go about this? Is it even possible ... Is the only way to do it to reformat the external with 2 partitions and making one for mac and one for windows?

Would my OSX computers be able to read from it? I would like to watch movies on my OSX stuff or transfer a few to my ipad for when I hit the road.

Thoughts?:confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

3. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

Hmmm alright ... I looked around but never could find anything like the MacDrive. I guess I will need to pick that up so I can write my files to my external drive that has Time Machine backups on it.