If G.skill titan works with new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 123free, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 123free macrumors member

I am trying to install a G.skill titan SSD to my new MBP. But it seems new MBP can not recognize this SSD. (I boot with OSX DVD, use disk utility and no hard drive show up):mad:
    any ideas?

2. be300test macrumors member

hey,

i bought a titan also, had alot of troubles getting it working. the only way i could get it working is by plugging it into another mac/pc formatting it with a ntfs/fat32/journeled fs and than putting it back into the macbook and going into disk utility under the installer and formatting it with the disk utility.

the macbook should see it after you format it in another machine with any filetype.

if this doesent work let me know...i know some other tricks.

good luck

3. CTechKid macrumors regular

Are you trying to format the drive via external means? I have yet to hear of anyone having trouble once the drive has been internally installed.

4. TexasAg macrumors member

See this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=646495&page=3

To summarize, some people have a problem getting this drive to be recognized by the os x installation cd. I tried formatting the ssd drive prior to installation of os x, and that did not help.

I got it to work by plugging the ssd drive into an external enclosure, and then connecting the external enclosure to the macbook pro using a usb cable. When you do that, you'll be able to install os x onto the ssd drive. Once the installation is complete, you can plug the ssd drive into the macbook pro, and it will boot fine.

5. Schaumburg macrumors newbie

Anyone Solved this ?

I can get the disk to show up in a Mac Pro, but not one the New Mac Book Pro.

When I try to install mac OS (leopard) it cant see the disk in Disk Utility.If i enter System profile. I can see it under SATA devices with correct name and Ser no. There is however only 4 lines (Capacity, Model, Revision and Serialnumber). When i have the disk (250GB 7200rpm) that came with the system a lot more info is displayed.

I repartioned the disk on the MacPro with GUID Boottable but i still cant get it to Work :mad:

Will try to clone system on the mac pro later.

6. goodmove macrumors member

Works Great In My Unibody MBP 15

I connected using an external enclosure connected via USB (Titan 256GB). Then, I cloned my original drive and then swapped the HDD and SSD. Works great!

7. Schaumburg macrumors newbie

Succes

I had trouble connecting the Drive through my Usb connector.
    Probably because its an old one.

However i managed to clone the drive on my MacPro and now my Macbook Pro is running smooth with the G.Skill DIsk :)