If Hackintosh is working fine, we won't need to wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Aug 7, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

I have been waiting for Apple to release a new rMBP since last Fall. Don't know why it takes so long. If Hackintosh is working fine on powerful laptops from other companies, we don't need to wait for Apple. Am I right? How come there is no company that makes the latest laptops from other companies running Mac OS? Is it difficult or impossible without the help from Apple?

2. lchlch macrumors 6502a

It's illegal.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Alternatively, it violates the EULA. I'm not so sure that makes it illegal, but Apple has sent its lawyers after companies who were installing OSX on non-Apple hardware and selling it. As far as I know, they've never gone after an individual.

4. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Like he said, very illegal for a company to use Apple software. And they aren't reliable. I use a hackintosh as a home server, and it is not stable for any thing more than casual use. I have one of Tony Mac's reccomended builds. Getting iMessage and FaceTime and Keychain to work is nearly impossible. Sometimes it is impossible. Sound is finicky, as are video drivers.

They are fun to tinker with, but not Good as a daily driver.

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

The problem is that not everything might work with macOS and it's not easy (sometimes impossible) to swap out parts for ones that would.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Not in my country. Here an EULA is not worth the bits it is written with.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not illegal, the police won't be busting down the door to arrest you

There are advantages and disadvantages to running a hackintosh, the biggest issue, is future updates to OS X, may not work, or require significant configuration. I had a hackintosh for a while, it was cool, but I think nothing beats OS X running on Apple hardware

8. lchlch macrumors 6502a

you can still get arrested in a civil suit but your right it's not really a criminal offense.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

If Apple is more concerned about iPad, iPhone, iWatch than computers and if Apple thinks that the iPad can replace laptop computers, they should give royal customers a choice to use Mac OS on machines made by other companies. They are keeping the wheel from spinning. I have been Apple user since Apple II. I am disappointed about the long wait.

10. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Licensing OS X to other manufacturers killed the Mac before.

11. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

If you want a Hackintosh then buy the hardware and build one or find a compatible laptop and install OS X. There really isn't much stopping you.

Apple does not issue liscensing for commercial institutions to install OS X on non-Apple hardware. Individual users can get away with things that businesses can't.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

There was a company in Florida that was building OSX compatible machines and selling them. They started selling the machines in early 2008, which caused Apple's legal team to go after Psystar with lawsuits, etc. Psystar lost and Apple won a judgement. The company went bankrupt and out of business in 2010. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psystar_Corporation

13. jerryk macrumors 68030

The biggest issue I have had with hackintoshes is that they do not upgrade well. Sometime when I took an upgrade the unit will not longer boot or if it did run there are subtle things that are broken. Often I had to do a complete reinstall. Because of this I gave up on them, although I am tempted to build one out of an Intel NUC to replace a MacMini

http://www.tonymacx86.com/ and http://www.hackintosh.com/ are good resources for hackintosh

14. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

That's for sure. Anytime you want to update or upgrade anything it's a long, painful process.

15. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Its a eula violation, not really illegal in terms of what OP wants to do.

Its only "illegal" if you make a company that sells them and that's under grey areas of business or IP law. You can't call up the cops and say bust em danno....they have hackintoshes. Its apple needing to petition and go to court and whip out fair use, IP, etc law standards.

Individual use...eula violation only carries the usual hits. Stuff may not work and no support will be offered to fix it. Or company reserves the right to ban company access to online resources (common among online games....break the eula expect the ban hammer in 5,4,3.. and no more game server access for you) .

16. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Just because you aren't going get in trouble for something doesn't make it legal. To use a copyrighted software legally, you must have a license, and you must abide by the terms of the liscense. If you break either of these (and honestly you don't even have a liscense for OS X on non-Apple hardware, but that's beside the point), you are infringing on a copyrighted work.

It's really not much different than buying OEM software for a personal computer or a cover band not paying royalties. It's not legal, but you will probably never get in trouble for it.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

Plus you cannot call Apple support for help if things go wrong. And what if the hardware goes bad - how do you tell if the problem is OSX or the hardware?

18. gpat macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't really run an Hackintosh laptop as a daily driver. A desktop should be OK though.

19. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Hackintoshing laptops is a minefield and not recommended at all.

Hackintoshing desktops is easier, but still a pain in the ass when you try and update. I ran one for years and eventually stopped because it was just too much of a headache to keep everything working right. My hardware was well-supported by the community, but it's too much of a hassle if you want something rock-stable for daily use.

If you do end up going down the Hackintosh road I'd suggest only a desktop build and don't plan on updating it once (if) you get everything working right.