If I begged the Apple Genius

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolb0yalex, Aug 23, 2008.

1. coolb0yalex macrumors member

Hi. I currently have a 16GB Black iPhone 3G and it has some problems such as a constant popping sound coming out of the speakers and light leak on the chrome of the screen. I am thinking about going to the store soon to get it replaced, but i'm wondering If they would also let me get a white iPhone 3G because the Black color gets old fast. I mean, there are problems with the phone, but I'm not sure if they would be able to switch colors for me. Any thoughts? Thank You!:apple:

2. Linuss macrumors regular

Don't see why they wouldn't considering it's the same phone just different backs.

3. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

No harm in asking, but don't be surprised if they say no. If they had a replacement in white, I don't see why they wouldn't give it to you.

4. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

I think it would depend on when you purchased the phone. in most cases a manager would be happy to to sell you the other phone. Considering the troubles the iPhone has had, I would think they would. Being a former Genius, I would certainly be happy to exchange it for you. If you have not purchased Apple Care (I would for this phone) even use that to your advantage, by saying if i can upgrade to the larger phone I will even buy the Apple Care. This usually will be the clincher and you will have the phone. Not saying they would not upgrade if you did not get Apple Care, but it helps.

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I had mine swapped out on Thursday. I have a white 16gig, and when they wanted to replace it, I asked if I could get a black one instead of another white one. He told me no, I had to take the same color, and he wasn't negotiable about it at all.

I'm sure there are probably some Genius' that would give u the one u want, like thecartoonguy below, but I think it just depends on who u get at the counter. Perhaps thecartoonguy could give us his insight on whether that's true?

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i know they won't let you exchange between storage sizes... but it'd be interesting to see if they will let you swap black for white.

7. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I would hope to have some concrete problem with the phone, or mention you want to switch colors at the very end of the process just as they're going to scan the barcode on the new box.

Otherwise, I'd be concerned they though you were making up issues in order to get the other color and deny a replacement.

8. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

When I took my 8GB in to be replaced, I asked if I could switch out to a 16GB White and the Genius said no problem, he would just return the 8GB, charge a restocking fee, and sell the 16GB.

Then they logged in to my AT&T account and found out I had an IRU account. They can't do anything with one of those apparently. So I still have a 8GB.

So I guess it probably depends on the store.

10. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

I swapped my phone out on Friday (screen bubbling). I asked if I could switch colours and was point blank refused. I was informed that the phone swap has to be like for like. (My original phone is 16Gb anyway?)

I have just noticed that the new phone has damage to the chrome bezel - so its back to the store again in a few hours to speak to the Genius again!

Will post again with the outcome.

11. coolb0yalex thread starter macrumors member

thx guys. i mean there are serious hardware problems on this new revision of the phone. 1G was perfect, but i guess they were pushing this product out way too fast so they lacked in quality. I hope they will change it if it's a nice young lady. who am i kidding, they're all men. haha. I wish I was an Apple genius.

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I think both generations had their flaws, but I really like the 3G. Although who am I to talk because I've exchanged it 6 times since July 11th. This one is perfect, though. /crosses fingers/ :D

13. yode macrumors 6502

Im going to the genius bar tommorow because my iphone has 2 dead pixels, uneven glass bezel and a slight light leak. Is this good enough grounds for replacement?

14. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I would think... the Apple Store in San Francisco... there's got to be at least 20 gay guys working there. You could still be in luck if you flutter your eyelids the right way. I could give you some tips. ;)

15. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

I eventually got to see one of the Genius guys, swapped the phone straight out with no problems.

He refused to swap the colour out for me as it was 'against policy'

oh well, at least this one seems flawless for the moment....

16. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Do they always replace it with a new phone in the actual box or is it those refurbs in the slim white boxes?

snverhallen

17. hlysmksbtmn macrumors member

you don't have to beg.

i swapped my white one for a black one, no problems. speak to the store manager if they won't swap it for you.

18. yode macrumors 6502

So I got the replacement iphone and upon inspection (at home) it has 2 scratches on the black bezel, and little scratches on the screen. It also has a speck of dust underneath the screen. Great... The iPhone came in worse condition than the one i replaced, so do you think Apple will exchange it again?

19. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Come on now. 1G was and is far from perfect! I own one of each. Last year at this time there were thousands of threads complaining about the 1G's problems. I know that there are a lot of problems with the 3G, but don't muddy the waters by saying how perfect 1G was. A lot of the problems with 1G weren't fixes with the 3G, and that is even more frustrating: MMS, Voice Dialing, no Copy/Paste....the list goes on. Don't sugar coat the issue and bring down your credibility by romanticizing the 1G iPhone.

20. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

true...but not so true. i tried, the problem is that the colors are different model numbers, so unless it is a physical return/exchange with reciept...then no go. sorry :apple:

21. actorkid macrumors 6502

i dont think they would swap out the colors

im pretty sure phone policies are similar for most phone companies/carriers

a few months ago, I went to a verizon store to get my girlfriends LG chocolate exchanged...it was all messed up, and the florescent green was getting annoying..

of course she wanted the pink one, or basically ANY other color...the guy at the counter was extremely nice (mostly because i was pleasant toward him. Damn those costomer service reps take a BEATING from ****** customers). The guy told me that he really really wished he could just swap out the color for me....i even had my girlfriend bat her eyes a few times and ask nicely..

turns out each color has its own model number, essentially making it its own separate phone, even though the insides are the same.

If they can't do a color swap for a piece of crap phone like an LG chocolate...i couldnt see a genius willingly changing out your color....unless you have an in at an apple store (I happen to have one of my best friends as a genius and also know the manager of my apple store...works wonders)

of course theres always hope! I would try nonetheless...just don't be disappointed if they say no way.

22. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Sure, the iPhone didn't have some standard features, but what it did have was proper quality control. I don't think I've ever witnessed an Apple launch with this many people complaining about hardware faults on their iPhone. CONSTANT crashes, 3G reception issues, light leak, etc. Maybe we're spoiled by Apple. Maybe Apple messed up. Either ways, it's unacceptable.