if I bootcamp my iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ivibezz, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Ivibezz macrumors newbie

If I bootcamp my iMac 21.5" 2.5ghz Amd Raedon HD 6750M 4gb ram to 20gb of Windows 7 home premium 32 bit will games run faster and if I don't like it can I delete the bootcamped section of my mac and keep on using Mac OS_X?

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That depends on the game, but most if not all run better on Windows 7. You can also delete the boot camp partition later if you don't like it. You might want to use more than 20GB depending on what games you want to install. Also, use a 64-bit version of Windows 7 if you own it.

(Make sure not to accidentally delete your Mac OS X partition when installing Windows.)

3. Ivibezz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you, how can I avoid accidently deleting Mac OS X? I have a 20GB partition set out for it; I'm only going for games such as; Crossfire, AVA, and online FPS's.

And sadly; No I only own the 32-bit one; that'll still be good, right?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If you follow the directions in Boot Camp Assistant (Applications - Utilities - Boot Camp Assistant) you won't have any issues with OS X. The installation is very straightforward and simple.

5. Ivibezz thread starter macrumors newbie

So what happens when I turn on my mac once I bootcamp it?

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

When you boot hold down the Option key, you will see a screen that provides the option of booting to Windows 7 or OS X. BTW I'd recommend you read Apples manual on Boot Camp setup:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It will boot in to OS X, unless you hold down alt/option during the boot process which will allow you to chose the partition to boot off (OS X, Windows etc).

bah, ninja'd. Any who, that documentation link is very useful.

8. Ivibezz thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay guys thanks, but one more question; will my Apple Keyboard work on the bootcamp?

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Of course it will.

BTW it's Boot Camp not bootcamp.

10. Ivibezz thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, fair enough,
    I am about to put the Disk in, do I need the Serial Code? I haven't got the box anymore, just the disk.

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yes, you need the activation code.

12. Ivibezz thread starter macrumors newbie

-______-.

That's a spanner to my plan? ..

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Could be. Unfortunately, with any MS product, you will always need the product key to install it.

14. Ivibezz thread starter macrumors newbie

**** when i partitioned it took 20gb from my hdd and i haven't even installed the windowsss
    how can i remove it!?!@

15. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

run the BootCamp assistant again, and it will give you the option to get rid of it.

16. Ivibezz thread starter macrumors newbie

17. RoqueCub macrumors newbie

Just a point of more clarification... When you partition and you load up Windows, the drivers for your wireless mac keyboard and mouse will NOT work, until you install them. The only way your going to be able to do that is to have a WIRED mouse and keyboard to do that. So have those nearby when you do it.

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not correct. Your wireless apple kb and mouse will work.

How do I know this? Because I dont own a single wired keyboard or mouse and I got Boot Camp up and running fine on my iMac.

19. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Actually, I had A LOT of issues with getting my Apple bluetooth keyboard to work, and a short google search will show you that many many other did as well. You must have been lucky.

That being said, if you only have a wireless keyboard, when you want to boot into Windows, you will need to do so through system preferences. I made a little automator app that does it just for connivence sake.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually have some questions related to this. I assume it is, but just to make sure, it would be possible to install Windows on a partition of the SSD and then partition a part of the internal 1TB drive for data for Windows similar to the set us with an SSD + HDD in OSX?

Also, when I have my Time Machine plugged in and boot into Windows, 50% of the time it just won't boot (black screen), and the other 50% of the time it asks to boot into safe mode. Any way to stop this so I don't have to worry about forgetting to unplug my Time Machine HDD?

20. Icaras, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Also I should mention, I use Windows 7 and I have installed it on two different iMacs (2010 and 2011 models) and both times have never experienced any issues with immediate or future apple keyboard and mouse pairing. I've also googled it and I think the main problem people are having is that they are allowing Windows to install generic bluetooth drivers from Microsoft first. All you gotta do is install those bootcamp drivers right when you get into Windows for the first time before Windows starts going Windows update crazy and you shouldn't have a problem. But even during installing Windows, both kb and mouse works fine. I'm guessing the issue could also stem from the type of model your iMac is.

Why can you only boot through system preferences if you only have a wireless keyboard? :confused:

I can boot just fine by holding the Option key at startup.

Yes, you can do this. When you use Boot Camp Assistant again, you'll have the option to "Create a second Windows partition for Windows" when you select the HDD.

You can also use the HDD for Windows without partitioning it if all you want to do is use it for backups or for general storage. Under Windows, it's just another connected hard drive. I've done this before to backup some Steam games.