If I bought my iPod on May 4th, 2008...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pain, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Pain macrumors regular

...am I still covered?

And if I am, can I get my screen replaced?

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

if you dropped it and its cracked no you cant replace it

3. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

Never dropped it - I think it's quite odd that this iPod has a scratch across the middle, one side to the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Read the warranty info that came with your iPod; cracked and scratched screens ARE NOT covered by warranty, just like every other flaw that can only occur from misuse. Why do I say that last part? Because Apple knows that glass screens don't just crack on their own, regardless of whether or not it was dropped some sort of force was applied to the screen.

Sorry, it's not covered, even though you're in your warranty period still.

6. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That's correct. All iPods and Macs come with one year limited warranty. This covers hardware faults that cannot be caused by the user themselves - so, problems with the internal hardware. As anyone can crack their screen and say they don't know how it happened in the hopes of just getting a new iPod, Apple has chosen that screen damage is not covered by warranty.

8. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

9. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    Then they may well say any internal problems occurred as a result of whatever caused the damage to the screen. If Apple feel that the phone has stopped working as a result of accidental damaged (and they would consider the screen issue as evidence that it's met with an accident), then you wouldn't be covered.

10. misterpasta macrumors member

11. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

That is the norm, but I can recall a single case where Apple did deviate from it. When the very first generation iPod Nano was released, there was an issue identified where some screens appeared to spontaneously crack after a few days of ownership, despite no misuse. Apple did replace such iPods. If I recall correctly, the explanation that eventually came out was that Apple had received one defective batch of screens from its suppliers, but the defect didn't reveal itself right away out of the box - the screen had to have been in use for a while.

Mind you, this was a very special case, and there is no evidence to suggest that any batch of iPod Touch has ever been affected by such production issues.

And once the iPod has undergone physical trauma as a result of misuse, the remainder of the warranty, for other issues which would otherwise have been covered, is effectively forfeit.

12. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I wish you luck in the Apple store. May the 4th be with you.