If I "brought my own phone" to AT&T can I get the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unobtainium, Sep 11, 2014.

1. unobtainium macrumors 68020

I signed up for AT&T (new service) today and put the SIM card in my old iPhone 5. The guy at the store told me I'd be able to preorder the iPhone 6 tonight, but when I tried a test run on Apple's website (attempting to check upgrade eligibility for the 5s...) it gave me an error message that I'm not eligible for an upgrade. When I checked with AT&T (by texting that weird number) it said I'm eligible for an upgrade on Feb. 12th, 2015. What?

2. Dreday24 macrumors regular

if you brought your own device you have to wait 6 months for an upgrade

3. unobtainium thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow, you'd think the guy would have told me. I wonder what my options are now :confused:

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Officially it is this way, but they are able to change that. Speaking from personaly experience here. I can;t say how quickly they can change it now (we are about 3.5 hours away from the green light for preorders). They should be able to change it by launch though. AT&T store did it for me.

5. unobtainium thread starter macrumors 68020

I did try phoning but their call center seems to be closed now. Can't get chat support either. I guess I won't be one of the first wave of iPhone 6 owners :(

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Why would he? You might've not signed up for service.

7. unobtainium thread starter macrumors 68020

Other than honesty? I guess I could be charitable and assume that he didn't know. Either way, I bought one out of contract directly from Apple and will be taking it to another carrier since AT&T doesn't want my business.