If i buy a 4th gen ipod touch without open it, let say 5yr later power on still work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by auzzuro, Sep 27, 2012.

1. auzzuro macrumors regular

Guys i wonder if i buy a ipod touch 4th generation or iphone 4s without power on do u guys tink after 5yr or 10yr still can work?

2. Rad-o macrumors member

The standby time has passed so you may need to charge it before using .

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Generally, if you were planning on storing a device a 40% charge or thereabouts is recommended. After 5 yeas though, I would expect the battery to require charging prior to use.

4. APlotdevice, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Lithium batteries degrade whether you use them or not. How quickly this occurs depends on the existing charge and what temperature it was stored at*. Of course rechargeables also self-discharge over time... How quickly also depends on temperature... and if a lithium loses all power then it can actually become damaged**. All that said after five years it should still partially work after all that time.

*do not attempt to store your device in the freezer.

**modern devices have circuitry which powers them down while there is still a small charge in the battery so as to avoid this problem under normal circumstances.

5. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

So does tat mean once a while i must use it to prolong the batteries cos i prefer 3.5 inch ipod touch rather than 4inch screen. So i was thinking of getting two of it. One of them i will b using while the other i nt gg to use it until my other ipod touch is dead. So once a while charge it will prolong the batteries? Correct me if i am wrong. I was also thinking og getting two iphone 4s . I still prefer 3.5 inch screen

6. sineplex macrumors 6502

it will be fine. Charge it once a year if you're worried.

7. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

So charging once a year should be fine is it? I like 3.5 inch screen ipod touch or iphone but sadly i don tink apple in future will make 3.5 inch screen anymore...

8. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

It will probably be cheaper to just buy a new battery in a few years' time - but even that might not be worth while, because in a few years the 3.5" screen will be useless - many apps are already being updated, and it's only a matter of time before they stop working at all on the smaller screen.

9. Slinkwyde, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Slinkwyde macrumors regular

I've had a 4th gen iPod touch since 2010 and it was my first modern mobile device. This summer I also got a 4.0" HTC Droid Incredible 2 to replace my feature phone. I'm an average size American man (5' 9" or ~175cm) with average size hands and to me it's no big deal. The Incredible's screen is slightly larger, but the difference is so small that day-to-day I use the two devices interchangeably without really noticing a difference in size. They both fit comfortably in my hand or in my pant or jean pockets.

That's only a personal opinion, but it's an opinion formed after spending a lot of time with a 3.5" and 4.0" device. I suppose the difference would be more significant to a child or very small adult (like maybe 4' 11" / 150cm and below).

10. pepi macrumors member