If I buy a Cellular iPad.... (specifically Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Phonzoxd, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

1. Will I need a sim card to activate the Ipad?
    For example, If I restore my Iphone and I do not have an active sim card in there, the phone will not work, it will keep me in the registering screen until I pop in my sim card to activate it, and then I can use it.
    Is this the same for Ipads?

2. If I do a 2 year contract, and I decide I want to cancel after that is up, and i do so for 6 months for example. When I activate it again, will it charge me an activation fee of $40 everytime I do that?

2. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

The answer to the first question is no. I can't answer the second one for you.

3. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

To address your second question: Unless Verizon has changed their plan structures lately, the most flexible data plan will be the pre-paid version. 1 GB for $20, etc. There should be no activation fee, and the SIM should be either free or a nominal cost. This plan has worked well for me, and I like not having a 2 year contract with Verizon. Their fees can be unreasonable.

4. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Definitely go 'no contract' with an iPad, seriously. I have the 5GB plan now ($60 for 2 months) and it is fantastic, and if I stop using it (like I did between the Air 2 and Pro) I don't have any hassle or charge. And then I can turn on 'auto-pay' to keep continuous service flowing.

5. Phonzoxd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Well the reason why I would go on contract is because they have $250 off ipads right now. And if I add it to my plan, it is only an increase of $10 a monht. That pretty much evens out to a free 2 years usage on my plan.

However, after those 2 years is what Im worried about. I probably would not want to keep a monthly charge active if I dont need to. So from time to time when I do want to activate it, like going on a trip or something, I was wondering if i can activate it for a month on my plan, or no additional fees outside of the $10 a month.