Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff3221

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I was waiting to buy a new MacBook Pro 13" non-retina until they announced any new changes yesterday. Since it looks like they won't update this MacBook until the fall, I am probably just going to buy it this week, and now that they dropped the education price to $999, now seems like a good time. I am a student, and currently have a 6 year old white MacBook, and I like all of the ports and the superdrive if I ever need it. Do you guys think that now is a good time to buy the cMBP? If there is a good chance they will update it in July or August, I will wait, but if it will not be until September or October, I won't.

Also, my main reason for posting is, when they update OSX in the fall, will I get a free update to Mavericks since I bought it within 6 months?

Thanks!

danyull

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
I'm on the same boat as you :( was looking forward to see if they continued to make cMBP. do you know if the cMBP will be in the back to school promotion? And also any idea when it starts?

As far as mavericks I'm not sure but I would assume so.

mentalcase

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
If you buy right now, probably not. They likely will wait until Mavericks has an official date before offering it free to recent mac owners. But we do not even know if they are going to be charging for it yet. Buy your mac and worry about Mavericks later. The price shouldn't be any more then the $20 mountain lion was.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Hopefully this time apple can handle the osx turn over better, last year I happened to buy macbook air around this time, they let me upgrade to the new osx, the way they handle the situation is really frustrating, you got to sign up with a promo code, that is a long wait to get their reply with password to get to claim the upgrade, a messy situation.
After some emails and frustration finally got it. It took about 4 days to get the situation under control. Initial first week of osx introduction will be lots of teeth crunching.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm on the same boat as you :( was looking forward to see if they continued to make cMBP. do you know if the cMBP will be in the back to school promotion? And also any idea when it starts?

As far as mavericks I'm not sure but I would assume so.

They dropped the price with the education discount from $100 off to $200 off on the 13" cMBP; IMO, better than $100 off and a $100 iTunes giftcard.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Don't bet on getting it free, release will be in the fall, that's minimum 3 months away, if it is not free you won't get it for free this long before release date.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Usually they have a window of 3 months to claim the free osx, say they announced yesterday, within sept 10 2013, you should claim the free osx, if they do it at all.

jeff3221

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I didn't realize that it was only a $20 upgrade if I do have to pay at all. So most of you think that if I want to buy the cMBP, now would be a good time. I've seen that many rumors say that this model won't be updated and will probably be discontinued in about a year. However, if there is a chance of the cMBP being updated in July and August, then I will wait. How likely do you guys think it is for Apple to update the cMBP in the next couple months?

danyull

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I didn't realize that it was only a $20 upgrade if I do have to pay at all. So most of you think that if I want to buy the cMBP, now would be a good time. I've seen that many rumors say that this model won't be updated and will probably be discontinued in about a year. However, if there is a chance of the cMBP being updated in July and August, then I will wait. How likely do you guys think it is for Apple to update the cMBP in the next couple months?

As much as I want them to refresh the cMBP, I don't think they will. I'm gonna go ahead and buy the cMBP when the BTS promotion starts assuming that the cMBP is qualified for it. Also, the cMBP is a better option for me because you can upgrade the ram or hdd when ever you want, hell put a new ssd when the prices decrease. The optical drive is a 50/50 for me. If I have to ever burn something, I'll be glad I have it and not have to spend more money on an external one.

danyull

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
They dropped the price with the education discount from $100 off to $200 off on the 13" cMBP; IMO, better than $100 off and a $100 iTunes giftcard.

That's not the BTS promotion though is it? I thought it would be $999 and then the BTS promotion, whatever their special is this year.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
However, if there is a chance of the cMBP being updated in July and August, then I will wait. How likely do you guys think it is for Apple to update the cMBP in the next couple months?

I think they'll drop the line during the next refresh. The current MBA satisfies the needs of most mainstream users, and it's lower price point nicely positions it as the introductory product. Tim also said it was the "future" of the notebook, which I interpret as the future "mainstream" notebook.

The cMBP is at odds with the direction that Apple is taking by continuing to offer antiquated features that are now absent from the rest of the notebook line (e.g., lack of SSD, optical drive, user upgradable, etc.). It's main purpose was to offer an affordable entry to the notebook line while Apple transitioned to the Retina screen. After the latest MBA refresh, though, I think the cMBP has been rendered obsolete/redundant. The price conscious consumers now have the MBA, while the power users will soon have the rMBP, iMac, and MP.

Those are my thoughts, anyway. I fully admit that I could be dead wrong.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
That's not the BTS promotion though is it? I thought it would be $999 and then the BTS promotion, whatever their special is this year.

No, it's not the BTS promo, AFAIK, but I have a hard time believing they will give you $200 off a machine AND some other give away.

Maybe I'm wrong.....

danyull

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
No, it's not the BTS promo, AFAIK, but I have a hard time believing they will give you $200 off a machine AND some other give away.

Maybe I'm wrong.....

Lol I really do hope you're wrong :p
But how about iPads from last year? $500 and you still got a $50 gift card. I hope at least give us something :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.