If I buy a new display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jason2811, Jun 12, 2007.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

So if I buy a new display (probably a Dell, Apple displays are too expensive for me at this time) for my MacBook, what will I plug all the peripherals into? The MacBook only has 2 USB ports. I figure I have to plug in my keyboard, mouse, printer, iPod and (I assume the monitor also takes up one USB port). So I would need 4-5 USB ports. What can I do to remedy this? Thanks.

2. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

There are USB splitters. That is really your only option. Check your local Staples or BestBuy for them.

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

The monitor requires a DVI port, not USB.

Make sure you buy a mini DVI to DVI or mini DVI to VGA (depending on monitor) cable so you can use an external monitor.

As for all the ports, go wireless. You'll never go back. The only thing I have plugged into my MBP is the power adapter. Everything else you mentioned (except iPod) is wireless.

4. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

The Dell monitors have 4 port USB 2.0 hubs built in. If a monitor requires a USB cable, it will have a hub built in, unless it's built by a crackhead. Go for the 20" Dell Monitor, it is an awesome deal and looks good too.

5. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a