If I buy a new mac now, can I run Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by steveOooo, Aug 21, 2011.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Likely to need to buy a Mac Pro soon for FT video editing job.

I know there's a new model imminent, just wondered, as all my software runs fine on 10.6.

If I buy a new mp, can I delete 10.7 and install 10.6 (using disc I used to upgrade from 10.5-.6 on my MBP)

I'll probably just go for a 8 core second hand model either 2010/09 models and upgrade hdds etc myself

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The only thing that can hinder you from doing such a thing is lack of drivers in Snow Leopard. As there is no such thing for any Mac Pro that is already released, then yes, you can do that.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The current Mac Pro originally shipped with OS X 10.6.4 but the version on the latest retail disc is only 10.6.3 so you'll probably run into problems.

You won't have any issues with the second hand models.

4. Chris Tilton macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 12 core Mac Pro that came with Lion. The only Snow Leopard disc I had was a 10.6.0 one, so what I did was (with advice from the internet) put it in target disk mode and hook it up to my old Mac Pro. Within my old MP, I formatted the new MP's drive and installed 10.6, then downloaded the 10.6.5 combo update and installed that on it. Powered down, then the new Mac Pro booted up without issue! Hope that helps!

5. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

By the time the new Mac Pro is released, you can bet it will come with Lion installed which will mean you may not be able to go back to Snow Leopard. It is normally the case former operating systems do not have drivers etc for the newer model.

6. Chris Tilton macrumors newbie

Yeah, if you're buying new hardware like the Macbook Air, I wouldn't press your luck that you could successfully install Snow Leopard. Though, the way I found out how to install it on my Mac Pro, was from a thread about installing on the new Mac Mini, which apparently worked. Certainly, the newer the hardware, the harder it will be, and will likely eventually be impossible with a hardware refresh.

7. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done ... Sweet sweet snow leopard - all apps working, though, on the login screen it still says 'my name's MacBook Pro'

Mwhahahah will never let the lion in!

Btw, I followed someone's tip and restored the lion disc via target disc mode