Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

arctyler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I'm looking at a new in box T-mobile iPhone 5s 64gb, and I was considering buying it, he says he bought it straight from apple, and is T-mobile based so it works with most carriers, will that work with my Verizon plan, if I was to buy that iphone 5s?

Nlynn527

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
I'm looking at a new in box T-mobile iPhone 5s 64gb, and I was considering buying it, he says he bought it straight from apple, and is T-mobile based so it works with most carriers, will that work with my Verizon plan, if I was to buy that iphone 5s?

I don't think it will.

Comment

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Only a Verizon iPhone will work on TMO, a TMO iPhone won't work on Verizon.

Comment

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas

All the 5S Radio Chips are the same, but Apple blocks the CDMA portion required to use on Sprint/Verizon to work.

I tried a Verizon 5 sim on a 5s and it works but it says no service

Comment

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
No. Buy a VZW iPhone 5S and you can use it on VZW, AT&T, TMo, and overseas.

This is the best advise.

You can't use a Tmobile or ATT 5S on Verizon even though it has the band built in. However you can use a VZW phone for any service with all LTE bands working.

Believe it or not if OP is willing to buy 2nd hand the VZW iphones are a bit cheaper :)

Comment

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
For whatever reasons, Verizon will not allow any phone/tablet on their network that they did not sell. they say this is necessary to protect the network. (seriously?)

Comment

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

There was a huge discussion on this here. Here's the link. Hopefully, it will answer your question.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1637205/

It seems that your T-Mobile 5S will work on Verizon, but it will only work on Verizon LTE only (NOT on 3G and 4G), unlock required which requires 40 days of service with T-Mobile before they will unlock your 5S.

Comment

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
There was a huge discussion on this here. Here's the link. Hopefully, it will answer your question.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1637205/

It seems that your T-Mobile 5S will work on Verizon, but it will only work on Verizon LTE only (NOT on 3G and 4G), unlock required which requires 40 days of service with T-Mobile before they will unlock your 5S.

Of course, LTE is data only (at least until VoLTE is deployed) so when a call is placed it falls back to 3g or lower 1x for the voice service. If the phone won't work on those bands, it can't make/receive phone calls!

Comment

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
All the 5S Radio Chips are the same, but Apple blocks the CDMA portion required to use on Sprint/Verizon to work.

I tried a Verizon 5 sim on a 5s and it works but it says no service

Apple doesn't block jack. Verizon won't activate any device that isn't labeled as a VZW device on their network. They're anal about that kinda crap. They have a list of IMEIs of iPhones that are all sold as Verizon iPhones.

You can get a LTE nano sim from an already activated VZW iPhone and use that for LTE data only, but you won't get voice or 3G services.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.