If I buy an iPhone 6+ on eBay.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bgriz, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Bgriz macrumors newbie

Risks of buying on eBay aside, is it as simple as taking the SIM card from the 4s and popping it into the new phone and good to go? Assuming we are on att and the new phone is an att phone.

2. runningtowin macrumors member

You'll need the smaller Nano SIM (you have a micro SIM) but then.... yeah!

3. Bgriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Ok, so it's not as simple since they are different SIM cards. A visit to att store is required then.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Depending on the AT&T rep, they may just hand you a new sim card if you explain what you are wanting to do. This way, once you phone arrives, you can just go online or call to activate the new sim and you are good to go.

Either way, it requires a trip to AT&T.

5. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

As mentioned. AT&T will give you a new sim, just show them the phone that you'll be using. This is what I did when my daughter when from her old 4 to one of my 5S's.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

Simple as long as the phone is not on a contract

7. forcetactic macrumors 6502

You can also print an online template and cut down the microsim using scissors. It's not very technique sensitive

8. Bgriz, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

Bgriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, since you brought that up.....risks as I understand them:

Someone could report phone as stolen
    Someone on the "next" plan could sell a phone then default on payments

If it's a regular 2 year upgrade phone, is that a risk also? I would think this category makes up the majority of the phones for sale on eBay, they use an upgrade, sell the phone, then use some other phone for 2 yrs. Is that how it works?

9. 617aircav Suspended

He is asking about the sim, being on contract or not has nothing to do with him popping the right size sim.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

AFAIK, so long as a phone was on an account once, it can always be reported stolen irregardless of it being on contract. I could buys phone outright, activate on my account, sell it to you, then report stolen (just to be a jerk).

As far as defaulting on Next, I have asked this question myself and multiple people stated AT&T doesn't blacklist for that, they just send the account to collections. I couldn't tell you if this is 100% the case or not. I haven't found any literature saying one way or the other.

I have bought and traded for phones locked in contract. Never on eBay though; I always buy on craigslist and then meet the person at AT&T and have an AT&T rep add it to my account. My understanding is that at least that way I have some form of recourse if they tried to report the phone stolen.

11. Bgriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question guys, if the new phone comes factory sealed presumably that has a SIM card already installed(correct?) can I just then call AT&T to transfer wifes number over and activate?

12. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Yes, as long as the phone isn't already associated with an account. If it is factory sealed it is probably ok. I just purchased a Verizon 128GB iPhone 6 on eBay that was factory sealed. I took the Verizon SIM card out and put my AT&T sim in and everything is working fine. Just make sure you purchase one from a good seller with 100% feedback and you shouldn't have any problems.

13. 617aircav Suspended

You don't need to call att. Just put your wife's sim in it and viola.