Carrier If I buy an iPhone 6 with T-Mobile and cancel service can I keep the iPhone/use wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Skater1405, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Skater1405 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Unfortunately for the second year in a row (unless Apple plans to next month along with the iPad) a new iPod Touch was not introduced. I've had my 4th gen ever since the day it was released, and it's time for an upgrade. As a matter of fact my 2nd gen iPod on iOS 4 runs faster and has better battery life than my 4th gen on iOS 6. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if Apple does not upgrade their iPod Touch next month as possible rumoured, I am looking to take matters into my own hands and get an iPhone 5. However, I do not need a cell phone. I may be an adult and it may be the cultural norm, but I don't need a phone since I'm home a lot and if I'm out I usually have wifi.

Now, my question is this: am I able to purchase an iPhone 6 (64GB) from T-Mobile, either with or without service, and use it basically as an iPod Touch? I don't need calling and I don't need MMS. By with service I mean pay for say, a month of cellular service with T Mobile, then cancel and just keep the iPhone and use it on wifi. And does T Mobile charge anything for cancelling service or no, since they are the uncarrier?

Thanks for your time. I am more or less a cell phone noob. :p

2. Skater1405 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

You can buy any iPhone as 'device only' from the Apple store. I think you can get a 5c for $450 from just checking out their site if you want only a newer type of iPod, yo can also buy the 6, or 6+ out right from Apple.com or an Apple store starting at $750