iPhone X If I buy an unlocked iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NJRonbo, Sep 12, 2018.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Hey Guys!

First question....

Is this the first year for an unlocked iPhone option? I usually pay full price and choose AT&T but I thought that it is still basically unlocked.

Next question...

If I go with the UNLOCKED option for the iPhone X MAX will it come with a SIM card that I can choose my own carrier upon receiving it? Or, do I have to go to a store and get a card and have them activate?

I would love the option that I can choose a carrier upon booting up the phone.

Thanks for the help

2. epigenome macrumors member

You'll either need to get a SIM card from your carrier of choice or you can swap out SIM cards from your existing iphone. I've done this in the past with no issues.

3. isaihtb11 macrumors regular

Apple sells Sim-Free versions which do not come with a sim card. You can just pop in your current one. They are fully unlocked and you can swap out the sim if needed at anytime.

4. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

Is this the first year Apple is doing this in U.S.?

I always paid full price for AT&T phone but thought it was unlocked anyway. Am I correct?

5. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Technically 2nd year. But of course first time for the iPhone X series. Last year, sim-free model was available for the 8/8 Plus at launch, not for the iPhone X last year, which the sim-free model was released after 1 month.

6. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

One more question...

If I go with an AT&T phone is it still basically unlocked whereas the SIM card can still be removed?

There are two purchase options: Replace current phone on AT&T network or Buy a new phone on existing wireless account and I don't know the difference

7. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Yes. I'd choose the latter. Pretty much the same thing. It's just that when you choose the top option, it just takes you directly to ATT Model. The one below it you have options to choose other carrier.

8. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

Tha
    Thanks so much for your help

9. jeepguy7, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018

jeepguy7 macrumors newbie

Are you absolutely sure the OP will be able to move his SIM card from his old iPhone to the new iPhone Xs?

On Apple's web site:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/

Under "SIM Card" it says the following:

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are not compatible with existing micro‑SIM cards.

(EDIT: Just realized iPhone XS uses Nano SIM Cards (as have iPhone 5 and later). Micro SIM cards were used in iPhone 4S and earlier.)

10. Theyayarealivin macrumors 6502

The new iPhone is not compatible with the current nano sims? Someone please veirfy

11. Shadowbech macrumors 601

They are compatible. It's the Micro-sim that are not. It's been like this since the iPhone 5. So any iPhone later than iPhone 5 are not compatible with micro-sim.