If I buy Apple refurb...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyroceon, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Do get get everything as if I bought it brand new? I don't mean stuff, I mean services, like warranty, ability to upgrade to AppleCare within 12 months, Apple Store help from geniuses, etc?

Also, the same question applies if I buy it from a person. Will they still cover me?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If you buy a refurb from Apple you get all you listed above.

If you buy from a private individual you get what they are selling you… ie. whatever is left on Apple Care etc.

3. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Is AppleCare from the time the machine is bought or from the time it is first registered online? Because some of the sellers I'm talking to have them NIB.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you purchase a refurb from Apple, it's essentially the same as buying a new computer. You get everything but the shiny white box (replaced by a regular brown one).

When buying from an individual, it's up to you to make sure it comes with all the pieces, to verify that the computer isn't stolen, and to make sure the warranty is still intact. Doing this, get the serial number before you buy and check it on the Apple website. If all looks good, be sure to to get the original purchase receipt when you buy from the seller, to make your transfer of the registration as smooth as possible.

EDIT: Crosspost. The one-year of free AppleCare is from the time it is bought. That would be when the seller purchased the unit, not when you purchase from the seller.
    An exception to this is purchases made from all authorized resellers (incl. Amazon, BestBuy), in which case the warranty is dated from the time you purchased from the reseller, not when they bought from Apple.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

The count down starts when the machine is first registered. It can stay in its box and its Apple Care limits do not apply. Only when that machine is first registered does the 12 month period start.

6. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I think that I'm going to pull the trigger then, and buy the MB062LL/B refurb from Apple. I will order 2 GB of memory from Newegg and I hope we will be good.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If it is any peace of mind I bought both my Mac Pros last year from the refurb store (UK).
    I could not tell the difference from "new" ones. Didn't get any extra RAM though. :p But you may get lucky…

8. BullBoyKennels macrumors member

Personally there is nothing wrong with getting a refurb system from apple, since it's basically covered as a new system. I think the biggest selling point of going that route is depending on just how much you save on the price you can basically put the difference into getting the 3 year apple care warranty at virtually no cost out of your pocket. Well at least thats how I look at it.

9. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Yeah if you're going for a secondhand Mac then I'd recommend the Apple refurb store. It may not be as cheap as a bargain from eBay but you do get the piece of mind that it's had a full Apple service, standard warranty, etc. I got the BlackBook in my sig as a refurb for £670.

10. AndyFL macrumors regular

Good choice, can't go wrong with the Apple refurbs!!

11. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Actually, the 12 month warranty starts when the unit is shipped from Apple. This is what both the Apple Store chat and my invoice tell me.

12. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

yes you get everything just like if it was new