If I buy from Asia, Malaysia, will it be cheaper?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tengheavenice, Aug 2, 2008.

1. tengheavenice macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm living in Australia, as I know, Australia is selling at higher price, I wonder if I order 1 from website and uses UPS or DHL to deliver to my house, will get TAX too??
    Please Advice. Thanks :)

2. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Hmm, I am living in Malaysia. Ain't Apple product prices is the same worldwide? Including shipment and tax?

Honestly, you need to check how much is it charged for transporting a notebook and if Australia government charge tax on electronic products.

3. pinktank macrumors 6502

The U.S. have them cheapest, not sure about the difference between malaysia and australia

4. tengheavenice thread starter macrumors newbie

The price in Australia is very expensive :( I wondering.....
    I have a cousin living in Malaysia he said he can get for me is just when ship it here through Fedex or DHL, I scare it got tax on it .... :confused:

Anyway, I have no relatives in US LoL

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I wouldn't bother. Apple has no dealings in Asia and the middle east, its all done by another company. Some guy on here had terrible problems with them.

6. mpw Guest

I believe you'll get hit with 10% GST, not 100% sure.

But I'd say check and double check, as rarely have I seen a huge saving to be made by buying and importing, unless you illegally evade taxes.

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

like most countries, Australia has a limit to the value of a gift that can be sent from abroad without having to pay import duties. What's allowed in free as a "gift" is going to be much less than the cost of a new computer

9. tengheavenice thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm Thanks for the taxing info.
    Like I said since I'm in Australia buying at higher price i would rather choose to buy at the higher price + free gifts right? or rather buy at a lower price. HEHE :D

My cousin in Malaysia is worring on the duty tax ... It is really driving me gone mad....
    Thanks anyway guys for the great info

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You're not going to be able to dodge the GST. In Canada, for example, a gift is limited to $60 in value, you pay GST on everything above that.

11. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

your cousin could visit you and bring the iPod, notebook or whatever with him, no?

12. tengheavenice thread starter macrumors newbie

haha guys thanks for the info ! But my cousin promise to buy and send... LoL not coming to visit :( hehe

13. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

No.

And Apple obviously has dealings in Asia, duh -- they just opened a store in China! If you look at the country-specific Apple online stores you'll find that there's a slight premium on everything not sold in the United States. Hong Kong is likely the cheapest because it's mostly a tax-free haven. Also, you'll have to pay an import tax if you bring it in from elsewhere. Unless you get a great deal off a reseller, it evens out.