If I buy from Orange, will it be unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elephantinc, Jun 18, 2010.

1. elephantinc macrumors member

I've noticed that if one buys the iphone from orange (PAYG) it's £20 cheaper and one gets 250mb of mobile internet each month for a year. But if I buy it from Orange, will it still be unlocked?

2. elephantinc thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks, probably not worth it then.
    I don't make many phone calls or use many texts, so do you know of a way to get mobile broadband on PAYG (on any carrier) for free/cheap?

3. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I'm in the same boat - I was looking at the Orange PAYG "Racoon" option as it is the only one that reads as if it doesn't have a minimum monthly top up in the terms and conditions. All the others ask for at least £10 - I know most folks will think that is nothing to spend but I really can't see me using even that much on calls/texts as I want it many for the web/mail and 90 odd percent of the time I will have Wi-Fi available anyway.

As sourcing the phone from Orange will likely mean it is locked I was considering getting it from Apple direct but it isn't clear if you can get the "Racoon" PAYG micro SIM separately. Alternatively I could accept it being locked initially if there was a cheap official way to unlock it. I know with O2 they charged £15 to do this on a PAYG unit with a short wait before it happened.

4. twelve56 macrumors member

Are orange definatly selling pay and go in store on the 24th, unlike o2?

5. Robbie G macrumors member

3 have a 2GB allowance with their £5 p/m Internet Max addon. It says 1GB on the site but its just recently been increased to 2GB

I'm on their SIM only £10 p/m plan 100 mins unlimited texts and the addon which makes it £15 p/m

6. elephantinc thread starter macrumors member

£10 is far too much for me too, £1 is probably too much!
    With the animal packages, do you have to top up to get the 250mb of data?