If I buy iLife '09 .. ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Khryz, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

What will happen to my iLife '06 apps? I don't want to lose iLife '06 because I hear the '09 version still has a lot of bugs and just incase something isn't working properly I'd like to be able to revert back to '06 ..

Is this possible? Does '09 overlap and replace all the '06 versions of the apps?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

My guess is that it would overwrite it. But, you might be able to install it along side the other app. Do you have the older app on a disk? If not, drag and drop it to a CD/Flash drive just in case.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

in my case iphoto06, iDVD06,Garageband06 were overwritten. the new versions are better and very stable as far as i can see.

imovie08 was installed, imovie 06 and imovie 08 were placed in a folder called imovie previous versions. both a fully functional.

4. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is what I want to be able to do - install it alongside the current iLife '06 apps in another folder or something so I'd effectively have both the '06 and '09 versions of each app.

Is that possible? Not sure of the install process ..

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You can do a time machine backup, then try the install. I may give you the choice of over writing it. If it does over write, and you don't end up liking it, you can restore things with Time Machine.

6. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would help but I don't use TM .. don't have an external drive hooked up.

7. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

iLife 09 will replace the following as an overwrite:

iPhoto
    iTunes
    iDVD
    Garage Band

As others have mentioned, it will store any OLD iMovie's with full functionality.

Also worth checking that your laptop can handle ALL the apps, for example my G4 iBook installed everything except for iMovie so I just use iMovie 6HD

8. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an Intel C2D Macbook, 1.5 years old I should be fine.

And that's awesome - just want I wanted to hear. Thanks guys.