If I buy iphone 4 from Apple today, can it be jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mstmartin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. mstmartin macrumors newbie

I'm well familiar with jailbreaking ipod touches, but this will be my first iphone and am a bit confused about the "baseband." I typically lurk and research but felt I needed to ask this because I've been looking at prices of new, factory unlocked 8gb iphone 4s on ebay/amazon and they are selling for more than the Apple store which makes no sense to me. I feel like I'm missing some info or maybe xmas shopping inflated prices.

If my phone is factory unlocked, do I need to be concerned with the baseband? I have to return an iphone 4 I already bought because it has baseband 4.11.08.. I thought I had done enough research on manually unlocking but finding it'll be much easier just having a factory unlocked phone.

Also, if I order an unlocked iphone 4 (not 4s) from Apple, will I be able to jailbreak it right away? Appreciate any help.

2. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Yep, if your phone is factory unlocked then you don't need to worry about basebands at all! :) Also yes, if you purchase a fresh iPhone 4 from Apple you will be able to jailbreak it via redsn0w instantly, however for now it will be a tethered jailbreak until an untethered one is released, hopefully in the upcoming days/weeks (unless of of course the new iPhone is for some reason on 4.3.3 or lower you could jailbreak it untethered :p)

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

That phone had better ship prior to 5.1 coming out. Could be a delay jailbreaking that...