If I buy it in an Apple Store...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dranakin, Oct 19, 2007.

1. dranakin macrumors 6502

will they give the student discount of $69 for Leopard (given that I show my student ID)? Thanks.

2. crackermac macrumors member

No

I'm pretty sure that's a no. I think the only way you can get that is if your college is a reseller to students. If you go into the apple store, it's $116.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Furthermore, apple only gives hardware edu discounts in store. For software discounts, you have to order online.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

actually, i'm pretty sure apple doesn't sell their software at student discounts in store, just hardware.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Didn't I just say that? :D

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

barely beat me :p

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I've gotten the student discount on Apple software in a Store.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

recently? They changed the policy a little while back.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

In Chandler, AZ it was about three years ago (iMac G5 & some software), and in Columbus, OH about 4 or 5 months ago (accessories & software).

Most of the time I'm at a client site (US Higher Ed is my biz) and the campus bookstore is so convenient...

I have noticed, though, that many of the stores kinda do what they want to an extent, depending on their mood and the customer's attitude.

10. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

I got a student discount on AppleCare at Valley Fair, and I wasn't even an actual student yet (I had just SIR'd a few weeks prior, so I obviously didn't even have an ID). But that was back in May. Although the guy did ask if I was in college and, despite my answer, still gave me the discount. So I guess it does depend, to an extent, on their mood or their attitude.

11. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Does anyone have concrete proof (links please)?

Also an answer for uk woud be good.

I recently purchased applecare with my higher education discount in the Apple Store Glasgow the price was even better than on the HE Apple Online Store somehow.....

12. mainaccess macrumors newbie

I too would like to know about the UK discount policy.

Apple seem to be sending out mixed messages, giving discounts to some but not others. They really need to make it clear which products you can get a discount in store and which ones you can't.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i got student discounts on iwork and ilife 08 in store

14. maxjg macrumors member

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't even sell Leopard ONLINE to students for $69 anymore. I ordered it online with a student discount, and had to pay something around $110. I believe, however, if you buy it from your campus store, you get it at something around $70.

15. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

My campus bookstore is selling it for nearly $80.00, which is nice. That $36 - $50 savings might find its way into an Aluminum Mac keyboard. :)

16. dranakin thread starter macrumors 6502

Obviously, online is different. Apple doesn't even do a student check (having a valid .edu e-mail address). The reason I was asking is because Apple is selling it to universities through licensing for $69.